Low/fluctuating Idle and No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Antichrist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked the truck 3x for vacuum leaks. I paid special attention to the base of TB, manifold, all around the brake booster, and all egr lines, as well as fittings.

I'm 99.9% sure I have no vacuum leaks.

I tested the EGR manually to see if it holds vacuum. Push diaphragm by hand, hold finger over vacuum hole. Vacuum holds in EGR valve perfectly. No bleed off at all. I held it over 2 minutes, and it's perfect. I lubricated the pin, as well as cleaner the inside with a little carb cleaner. Aside from surface rust, it operates as if it were new. And from information that I've found, I do have the correct EGR valve for 8500gvrw and under, using the pin hole vacuum port opening.

My concern is the EGR solenoid. When I bring up RPMs, I can feel vacuum for a second, and then it quickly bleeds off. This is while holding high RPMs, in park. I'll recheck again today without the use of a hose, and will have someone hold the throttle for me, if I have time...

Last edited:

mook99ta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same exact problem, did you ever find the cause or a fix?

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned my EGR earlier this year... Did not fix my problem either, then I replaced my EGR and I had hoped that would work but no.... Truck would still randomly die... So I made an aluminum plate and capped the EGR off... This fixed the problem buy the CEL was now on... Finally I was talking to some random person and he said "did you reset the computer?" Aparently the computer thinks its still running the old wornout EGR... So I unplugged the battery two different times then took the aluminum plate out and come to find out the guy was right.... Now the truck runs fine with the EGR properly hooded up and no CEL anymore... Maybe this can help you guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese