Battery or charging problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cadillac replaced a dead OEM battery in my 2013 Escalade under B2B. I noticed that the battery had sprayed acid around. The tray is corroded. I cleaned it all up with baking soda and battery cleaner. A month later I noticed leakage from the new battery. More acid had dripped onto the battery tray. I cleaned it up again and replaced the OEM replacement with a Delco AGM. But I am wondering if the problem is the battery or is the leakage being caused by the charging system? The dashboard pretty consistently says 15 volts.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 volts is not good. Do not necessarily trust the gauge though. Use as volt meter to verify that is what the alternator is putting out.

If it is, you possibly have a bad ground or a bad alternator.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The internal voltage regulator should not charge beyond 14.2 @ the highest, and that's to compensate for running A/C and maybe headlamps all @ once. I believe it's time for new Alternator, and a rebuilt is ok, since it will have the same warranty. I would go to your local AC Delco store for one, it will be OEM quality. JMHO and good luck.
David g..................:)

OP
OP
T

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The internal voltage regulator should not charge beyond 14.2 @ the highest, and that's to compensate for running A/C and maybe headlamps all @ once. I believe it's time for new Alternator, and a rebuilt is ok, since it will have the same warranty. I would go to your local AC Delco store for one, it will be OEM quality. JMHO and good luck.
David g..................:)

OP
OP
T

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Put a meter on the battery terminals and get 14.7 v at idle with lights, ac, radio off. At 2500 rpm, 15v. Looked in the service manual and it says anything between 12.6 and 15v (page 9-809) is a "pass," otherwise replace 'generator'. Going to the dealer tomorrow with warranty question "what is causing batteries to leak acid? Please check charging system". What the manual says is dandy, but something, most likely what you suggest, is cooking my batteries. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
T

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, as one would think, the dealer's analysis agreed with the service manual. Voltage applied to the battery is in spec (12.6-15v under/not under load at 2500 rpm).
So, I am left to work the issue as described here. It was my first service visit, they treated me very well, replaced a weatherstrip, inspected brakes, changed DRL bulbs I didn't realize we're out and some other stuff -- no charge visit -- really very impressive. At least it's cleaned up and I already installed a Delco AGM battery which may do other stuff but won't spray acid around.

BTW, tried last weekend to replace the battery tray with a new one. Contrary to what the service manual says, one of the mounts for the coolant overflow tank sits on top of the tray -- so the coolant tank has to be lifted like 1/4 inch to get the battery tray out. The second mount for the tank is under the air filter box. Could not unplug the MAF connector -- may be damaged -- and could not pull the filter box loose from the grommets no matter how much rocking and pulling we tried -- so, fail at least for now. Amateurs!

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this: https://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V12I305.pdf It explains the charging system in our trucks a little better. I had forgotten that our trucks were different than older vehicles with typical charging systems.

So the 15V upper limit in the manual makes a little more sense, but if your battery is spraying acid, something is still not right. Check your voltage at your alternator output (positive output from the alternator to the radiator core), and check voltage across the actual battery terminals (not the connectors on the terminals). The numbers should be identical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts