2017 Tahoe LT 5.3L Alternator w/Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the 2017 Tahoe LT 5.3L have an alternator large enough to charge my travel trailer 100AH Lithium battery through the 7-pin cable while driving or do I need a DC/DC charger?

Last edited:

k_arnold72

Reaction score
There are a bunch of third party companies that make any size alternator you can think of. Primarily for stereo systems. I don't have personal experience so I won't suggest one or the other. But they're out there for sure.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If it were a new truck you’d probably be ok. There’s two factors to deal with now. The one you brought up about increasing the charge capacity and now the pathway from the charging system to the RV battery.

Yes on the upgrade to the alternator. You’ll want that to xtra charging capacity right up front after potential low capacity starts. It’ll get the truck battery charged back up faster so a short drive won’t leave you with low battery again.

With the increase in load to the lithium battery charging you’ll also want a new set +\- battery cables. These trucks are known to have them last 8-12 years before they build up resistance and cause fake DTC to appear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts