yukon troubles plz help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirll801

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 1996 yukon 2 door i was on the freeway cruising and it started to buck or jerk then the motor started shaking i give it gas and its hard to accelerate it started to shake bad so i pulled over to take a look and it was a lil low on oil i added some but the problem stayed the same now it dosent do it all the time, it starts at freeway speeds and it bucks at first then shakes what could be causing this any help would be good thanks

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
Is the check engine light on? If it has been on, check for any misfiring codes and for any other codes that might relate to a misfire such as System running lean, vacuum leaks, etc.
The oil level has nothing to do unless it was so low that you lost pressure in your hydraulic lifters and they were not opening the valves properly, but you said it was low only a bit.

OP
OP
S

squirll801

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
every time it happens no chk light comes on just starts like jerking then starts shaking only when i have the gas in as soon as i let go of it it runs smooth thanks u guys

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
Could be your torque converter shuddering, trying to lock and unlock. At what speed exactly does this happen? Have you checked your tranny fluid and see its level and what condition it is in? If it looks brownish with a burnt smell, I would try adding a bottle of Lucas Trans additive and see how it behaves after that. Changing the tranny fluid after a long time can actually cause the tranny to slip because you are getting rid of any metal particles that were acting as a friction modifier. Anyways, let me know....

OP
OP
S

squirll801

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when it starts it around 45 50 i did notice at like 65 70 it starts to run good again but thanks ill take a look at the trans

GMOWESME$

Reaction score
Changing the tranny fluid after a long time can actually cause the tranny to slip because you are getting rid of any metal particles that were acting as a friction modifier. Anyways, let me know....

Friction modifier... what would you say is the best advice to flush a tranny or should this not be done unless there is an evident problem?

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Metal particles should be filtered out by the filter, so if you have enough metal in your tranny oil to change the properties of the oil, your tranny is going to die soon whether you change the fluid or not. I'd err on the side of changing the oil out, with a tranny additive, as mentioned above. Not hard to do, but it isn't fun. A shop will charge you $50 or so to do it, but they'll try to get you to do a bunch of other stuff too, so be careful.
:headbang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59