Yukon Denali 6.2 towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rented a 2WD 2019 Tahoe this week for work (VIN - 1GNSCBKC2KR331221) and this is what is on the receiver. Didn’t think to grab photo of door sticker.
View attachment 240088

Yours and mine would be the same ratings too. The hitch itself exceeds the vehicles capabilities. While not certain, I think that the 2500s use the same hitch but have a higher rating because their frame is larger out back where the two connect. Well, maybe that and for certain because of their higher load capacity because of the leaf spring suspension and 10.5 full floating rear axle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I’m so new to this whole thing I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. I think part of what confuses me is seeing so many people towing heavy rigs with the same vehicle as me but seeing numbers that don’t seem to make that possible for me. And then add to it trying to figuring out how the weight distribution system works and how that effects the weight of the hitch itself...oh man.

Spent a few more hours tonight working on this and doing research. I came across this link and some of the information is the same that I based some decisions on, notably, that the tongue weight doesn't actually change when the bars are tensioned.

I easily made a calculator out of that diagram but cannot find the data needed for my chosen travel trailers!

Anyhow, First post is the meat and potatoes, then the fellas get to bickering and I quit reading after a few pages.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14265335/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

"A weight distribution system enables a tow vehicle to more effectively handle the tongue weight of a trailer by removing some of the load from the tow vehicle's rear axle and distributing it to the tow vehicle's front axle and the trailer's axle(s). Note - When the WD system is engaged the actual tongue weight does not change. Recommended tongue weight is from 10% to 15%."

skipp65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pull a 23 ft travel trailer with a 2010 5.3 L Tahoe with no problem.
I hear so many people say this, there never is a problem till there’s a problem. That 5.3 could pull anything you hook up to it, it’s not about moving it, it’s about stopping and handling and premature wear on parts. A lot of people are overloaded and don’t know it. Camper and trailer dealers just want to sell, they don’t pay attention to weight ratings.

EfrainlCazares

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone on here tow a decent sized (23+) foot trailer with their Yukon? I’ve got a 2008 Yukon Denali XL and I’m trying to figure out if it’s feasible to tow a trailer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 30ft TT, but I have installed a thee core radiator and a bigger transmission cooler on my 2011, AWD Yukon XL Denali. I only tow once to twice a year, from Central Texas to Arizona. First time I towed, I towed about two hours to a lake and I didn't like the temps. Transmission jumped to 230 and engine to 225. I called GM and was told it was normal for a AWD to be that high. I didn't like it and now, when I tow transmission only goes to 195-200 and motor stays at about 210 like it should. I tow with no issues and never let my RPM'S go above 3000rpm. Above all, ensure you do regular maintenance on your vehicle!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 30ft TT, but I have installed a thee core radiator and a bigger transmission cooler on my 2011, AWD Yukon XL Denali. I only tow once to twice a year, from Central Texas to Arizona. First time I towed, I towed about two hours to a lake and I didn't like the temps. Transmission jumped to 230 and engine to 225. I called GM and was told it was normal for a AWD to be that high. I didn't like it and now, when I tow transmission only goes to 195-200 and motor stays at about 210 like it should. I tow with no issues and never let my RPM'S go above 3000rpm. Above all, ensure you do regular maintenance on your vehicle!

These engines make maximum torque at over 4000 RPM, and maximum HP over 5000 RPM. Now I'm certainly not advocating cruising across country at 4500 the whole time, but keeping it below 3000 all the time is limiting how much power you have, plus it's putting additional stress on your transmission, since you're in one of the OD gears.

The 225/230 temps are normal when towing heavy and pulling long grades. AWD has nothing to do with it.

One of my few complaints about the 6-speed is no 1:1 ratio. In my 2001 Suburban, I just locked it in 3rd, 1:1, minimal stress on the transmission, engine around 3100-3200. For thousands of miles, towing 6k and 7k trailers. That truck now has 280k miles and still has the original engine and transmission.

Oldewing

Reaction score
14 with 6.2 here, 27 ft TT @5200lbs. Tows like magic, MPG is 10 to 14 depending on hills. Done the mountains in 100 degree heat, 6 people and stuff, Trailer and never saw trans over 231, I am going to upgrade the cooler anyways just for piece of mind.

Update, 2/28/2020......Opened the hood, dang if it did not come stock with a good size tranny cooler, so no upgrade needed. I will do a full tans flush before the season starts.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for consideration is that I will be towing almost exclusively in the western US...so lots of hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would get a rental towing puts excessive heavy wear and tear on a vehicle. unless you have some elaborate setup to do so..

like the people on A&E shippingwars they use a beefy setup to tow... it's not just a stock unit i bet they got some beefed up Heavy Duty HIGH SPEED cooling fans (police version HD cooling) and filter system installed...

if i ever plan on towing i'll get a rental instead of using my own... even long distance trips i would not use my own...

with the cooling package you can haul assand still stay with in a comfortable temp if your getting to 230F you don't have the cooling package as it would be about 190-210 range

for me with out a trailer it's 165F winter to 175F in the summer
with the HD cooling package.
honestly i rather spend 45$/day, then put the wear and tear on mine.. transmission cost $10,000 for a new one(if you can find it) when a 3 day rental is 150$ or so(might get a discount on a 3 day).... that is only 1.5%

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10,000 for a trans?

As I stated earlier I have no issues towing 6k with the Yukon XL Denali.

Having said that have a trans flush done. Almost all the Denali's came with the tow package which include a pretty substantial trans cooler.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a rental towing puts excessive heavy wear and tear on a vehicle. unless you have some elaborate setup to do so..

like the people on A&E shippingwars they use a beefy setup to tow... it's not just a stock unit i bet they got some beefed up Heavy Duty HIGH SPEED cooling fans (police version HD cooling) and filter system installed...

if i ever plan on towing i'll get a rental instead of using my own... even long distance trips i would not use my own...

with the cooling package you can haul assand still stay with in a comfortable temp if your getting to 230F you don't have the cooling package as it would be about 190-210 range

for me with out a trailer it's 165F winter to 175F in the summer
with the HD cooling package.
honestly i rather spend 45$/day, then put the wear and tear on mine.. transmission cost $10,000 for a new one(if you can find it) when a 3 day rental is 150$ or so(might get a discount on a 3 day).... that is only 1.5%

To each his own Brent. I came across a gorgeous 2500 Suburban for sale late last year. The seller said It ONLY needed the rear frame welded back up. One ad showed it in a Walmart parking lot. Then I found another picture of it parked at the RV park in front of the mammoth trailer it was towing around all over the country. No wonder the welds failed!

A man's got to know his limitations! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900