Yet another Yukon with engine tick and low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
I mean 3 psi is a pretty small difference. especially if read off the dash gauge, could be just a different brand oil filter or a few rpm lower idle.

I'd chalk that up as no change in my book. I do personally believe we overly blame the o'rings for low oil pressure, from posts I see most end up going back in with a high volume pump. Sadly that might be your next step. if it's something you can do yourself, I don't know.
Yeah it could be related to the filter maybe the 3 psi difference, I’m using my scan tool to measure it. Just don’t like that it’s now closer to the 6 psi.

O-ring was not the fix in my case, I might have to plan for a high performance oil pump - also beginning to think that maybe the engine is actually done for and a replacement engine will be inevitable

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure there were 3 different o-rings to choose from when I went through my junkyard 6.2 before I installed it. The existing was in tatters but I bought the same color.
I think you’re right there’s different colors and sizes for the o ring, I don’t know which one they used but I have to believe they went with the right one

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Yeah it could be related to the filter maybe the 3 psi difference, I’m using my scan tool to measure it. Just don’t like that it’s now closer to the 6 psi.

O-ring was not the fix in my case, I might have to plan for a high performance oil pump - also beginning to think that maybe the engine is actually done for and a replacement engine will be inevitable
I'm sorry that you are going thru this, I would have the shop redo the work. I bet they used the wrong oring and didn't even clean the pick up tube. Apparently those yahoos have never worked on an LS engine to know that the pick up tube needs to be cleaned. It's hard to believe that an LS engine died at 111k miles. I seen them reach almost 400k miles with regular maintenance.

Do you know the history of the suv? Has it used conventional oil most of its life? To find out remove a valve cover and if it has oil gunk build up the engine is toast. The oil passages get plugged with gunk and don't let oil thru to the top of the engine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_054607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_054607_Chrome.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 2

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you’re right there’s different colors and sizes for the o ring, I don’t know which one they used but I have to believe they went with the right one
Not sure how well you trust the shop but if someone doesn't know better it's very easy to use the wrong o-ring.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you are going thru this, I would have the shop redo the work. I bet they used the wrong oring and didn't even clean the pick up tube. Apparently those yahoos have never worked on an LS engine to know that the pick up tube needs to be cleaned. It's hard to believe that an LS engine died at 111k miles. I seen them reach almost 400k miles with regular maintenance.

Do you know the history of the suv? Has it used conventional oil most of its life? To find out remove a valve cover and if it has oil gunk build up the engine is toast. The oil passages get plugged with gunk and don't let oil thru to the top of the engine.

Thanks, it really sucks but it’s a car and nothing life threathing - that’s how I decided to look at it.

The shop has a specialty in US cars - that’s what they work on - but there’s always a chance that they used the wrong o-ring I guess.

The Yukon has travelled a bit:
-early life North Carolina
-then Poland
-then Sweden
And now my country. I can only see from the Swedish records that oil change has been done and 5w30 has been used.
It has a LPG system installed, was done by the owner in Poland I recently found out. I can’t tell if this system in any way would affect the engine or have that system has been maintained. Will try to research if lpg system can affect oil pressure.

Thanks for the input I’ll see if I can have a look and remove the valve cover.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
Not sure how well you trust the shop but if someone doesn't know better it's very easy to use the wrong o-ring.

I do trust the shop, but I can always ask them what color the one they removed was and what the one they put in was, or maybe get the part number

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying the shop did anything wrong but this is why I do my work myself so that I know what happened, the good and the bad. Because when you continue to have a problem you have to go back to the shop and ask "Hey did you replace the VLOM or how did the pickup tube screen look?"

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bummer! For what it's worth, the first time I replaced the o-ring on my '12 Yukon XL Denali, I ended up with lower oil pressure than when I started as well, but I was also doing a cam swap at the time so who knows what went wrong. I went back in with a new Melling high volume pump and the green o-ring they recommended for the application and have had no further problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
Not saying the shop did anything wrong but this is why I do my work myself so that I know what happened, the good and the bad. Because when you continue to have a problem you have to go back to the shop and ask "Hey did you replace the VLOM or how did the pickup tube screen look?"
I completely agree with you doing the repairs yourself is the way to go, then you know for sure what has been done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali

Latest posts