Yet another Yukon with engine tick and low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
probably cheaper to have that fixed than paying to have a engine shipped, that can't possibly be cheap at all.
I would recomend a more in depth diagnostic like mentioned already
check around and see if there is place that has worked on american cars...

No having the new engine ‘route’ is very costly, no doubt.

I think i’ll ask the mechanic again what the diagnostics was in relation to the conclusion being engine is done, I might have missed something.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No having the new engine ‘route’ is very costly, no doubt.

I think i’ll ask the mechanic again what the diagnostics was in relation to the conclusion being engine is done, I might have missed something.
you could probabaly do a dod delete kit resolving the issue and be better off all-in-one.
really depends though that cold start sound is horrible..., probably advisable to not drive it if you have any hope of fixing it.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
yes, check for exhaust manifold tick if its developed a loose spot...has fooled many folks

if not,

also, my 2002 liked an
ac delco filter better than wix and mobil for start up sounds never thought it would make a difference but it did...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man the cold start sounds bad but once warmed up it kinda sounds like a what a broken exhaust manifold bolt sounds like when cold.

is there a way to check that this has afm lifters or not without taking the engine apart. such a shame when this happens, especially when it's an out of country vehicle. so parts and getting things fixed gotta be a nightmare.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. First post here. I’ve been searching and reading multiple threads about the issue, but thought I’d share the symptoms my Yukon is having.

Bought a 2008 GMC Yukon XL with the 6.2 engine with 111.000 miles on it. After a couple of weeks I got the ticking noise at start up and the oil pressure drops after a short drive.

Ticking is worst at cold start, after 10 min it will be less significant. However oil pressure starts at 40 psi (according to gauge) and after a short drive it will drop to 10-15 psi at idle.

Took it to the mechanic and he had it for a couple of days. Oil and filter was changed. He tried the different ‘miracle oils’ and the ticking became less pronounced, but still there. He gave me the bad news and said that I would need a new engine. Apparently the vehicle has been run on a LPG system at some point in time, which was not good for the engine. I trust the guy, so the search for a replacement engine is in progress (need it shipped to Europe so it might take some time though)

I’ve added videos of what the ticking sounds like and what the oil pressure is.

Hopefully when a replacement engine has been found and installed I can update with a success story.

Start

After a short drive

Have the following DTC (the check engine light is on)

P0420 catalyst syst

P1133 HO2S insufficient switching

P2270 O2 sensor signal stuck
that isn't ticking that is clacking..

ticking is fuel injector tick
that is diesel engine lifter clacking

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man the cold start sounds bad but once warmed up it kinda sounds like a what a broken exhaust manifold bolt sounds like when cold.

is there a way to check that this has afm lifters or not without taking the engine apart. such a shame when this happens, especially when it's an out of country vehicle. so parts and getting things fixed gotta be a nightmare.
I didn't catch that it is 2008 it should not have dod

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
When the engine is running and driving you don’t “need a new engine”

I recommend opening the motor up, finding the cause of the problem, and fixing it.

Once warm it seems to run fine, I can’t tell any engine misbehavior when driving it (but guess real trouble can happen out of nowhere really when that noise is present at start up)

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
yes, check for exhaust manifold tick if its developed a loose spot...has fooled many folks

if not,

also, my 2002 liked an
ac delco filter better than wix and mobil for start up sounds never thought it would make a difference but it did...
I’ll check the filter, but pretty sure it was a quality filter that was used

Thanks for the video link, very informative (but might be more than what my skills allow for)

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score

Yes start up is awful, but last time I took for a drive for an hour on the freeway, could barely hear the ticking when I got home and parked.

Getting things done is a nightmare, getting parts alone takes a very long time. But I kinda knew what I was getting myself into importing a Yukon, so I can only hold myself accountable, but the scenario still sucks…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyetheguy93