Yet another "what should I upgrade" thread - 2002 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2002 Tahoe (non-Bose, with Onstar, but I don't care about the Onstar) that could use some improvement in the stereo. One of the front speakers is blown, and the sub is starting to go (or it's just plain worn out after 12 years of Wisconsin weather changes).

I don't need anything that people can hear from blocks away, but I like punchy bass and good sound.. Music-wise, I listen to pretty much everything.

I'd like to replace the fronts with new components and the sub, I don't care too much about the rear doors as long as the whole system sounds good. At some point I want to replace the deck with something with all the nice stuff like USB and/or SD card slots and/or Bluetooth, but I don't need a touchscreen or GPS.

I've got an amp from my last car I can use; it's a Sony 280GTX (2 channels, 80/100W RMS at 4/2 ohms, or 200W RMS bridged into 4 -- not 2-ohm stable running bridged, though.) but I'm not sure what the smart thing to do with it here is -- use it to run front components, or bridge it and run a 4-ohm 8" sub in the back? (For what it's worth, it has an LPF for subs, but no HPF.)

I figure my total budget is somewhere around $400, and a new deck will eat up a bunch of that, but I'd like to be able to upgrade in $100-$150 increments if possible.. So, I think the front doors are the first priority, but after that I'm not quite sure which way to go. Doors, deck, sub? I don't mind running another single-channel sub amp down the road if that makes sense, but I don't need ridiculous volume, and I'd like to keep everything installed such that it looks stock.

I don't really have a ton of brand loyalty, but I've had Pioneer decks before and they didn't piss me off, so I'm leaning that way ( a DEH-X6600BT looks like it would fit the bill ), but I'm not all that particular about brand or looks.

Thoughts, opinions, or recommendations on parts would be much appreciated.

Blue45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pioneer for me personally is the best way to go as far as the head unit. The components idk if you like MTX, but thats what ive had on my trucks and they sound bad ass, also pretty good in price.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
A

asm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply.. I kind of like the idea of having one amp if I can mount it out of the way, but that 2-channel looks pretty small size-wise so I'm thinking that might be easier.

Have class D's gotten better in terms of sound quality in the last few years? Last time I was looking at amps was probably 10 years ago, but I thought the consensus back then was that D's were only really OK for sub frequencies. Some of the reviews mentioned that it sounded about the same as some AB's, but I don't know if amps they're comparing them to were any good in the first place..

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There pretty much is no audible difference between ab and d class amps anymore. I usually choose class d for the increased efficiency and less current draw. There are plenty of other small amps that will drive your whole setup. Some are only barely bigger than that pioneer. However they are pretty much way over budget for you.

Also you could get a 4 ch amp that's small, run the front components off ch 1+2. Bridge 3+4 to the sub and run the tears off the radio and be just fine. Cheaper too. Some frown upon doing that. I'm not one of them lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123