Wilwoods - How long do pads and rotors last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been really wanting to do a big brake kit for a few years now and I've been going back and forth on the GM Brembo kit, the Wilwoods, and ctsvbrakeswap ZR1 kit. It seems like the GM Brembo kit and ZR1 would be the cheapest to do a brake job on as there are options for an aftermarket rotor and pads. I was looking into the Wilwood TX6R and the rotor discs and pads will cost over $1000 to do a brake job. The parts aren't that much cheaper on the AERO6 smaller kit either. So while the Wilwood is a good bit cheaper than the GM Brembo kit and there are two additional color options other than red it seems the maintenance will be a killer. So those who have the Wilwood kits, how long are the pads and rotors lasting?

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 21 calipers won’t fit with my wheels. They might if I grind off the part that sticks up but I’m not sure how I feel about that because it’s there for strength. I still have the whole kit in my garage.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will I build a Wilwood kit for my Colorado, the base BP10 Wilwood pads suck......they fade and I think I got 10,000 miles out of them. I replaced them with the BP30 Wilwood pads.....no fade and I have 15,000 miles on them so far.

As far as milling the caliper for proper wheel fitment, plenty have done it with no issues thus far

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s ridiculous for what they cost. Wilwood is out then. I was already leaning that way based on the cost of the rotors and pads

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s ridiculous for what they cost. Wilwood is out then. I was already leaning that way based on the cost of the rotors and pads

I think the last set up pad was under $100.

Once I went with the Wilwood BP30 pads......it was perfection. So I would write off Wilwood because of the base pads. I guess I should note that I'm ******* brakes because of my driving style.

The stopping power and weight savings are amazing.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
A CTS-V brake swap allows any pad from the 09-14 chassis. Clearance pricing $9.57 to track use $148.79. The downside, 20” minimum rims needed for the 6 pots & 16.25” discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use anything but the Brembo pads. They work the best. What’s the point of spending all that money for Brembos and not using the best pad? I’m after looks sure but it needs to perform as good as it looks for the cost.

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Wilwoods on all four corners when I purchased my 2018 Yukon. I am nearing 70k miles and have a little less than half the pad remaining. Rotors are still in great shape. They have probably been the best upgrade I've made for my vehicles. Also upgraded my Wrangler with Wilwoods due to my positive experience with my Yukon.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. I guess as usual, your mileage may vary. If I could spend the money for the front and rear I’d go Wilwood since that would be killer but being that I also want new carpet and a new steering wheel before they get discontinued one axle is it. I’m leaning towards the GM Brembo kit though for ease of service and I know it’ll work and bolt right up in an hour tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz