Will the knocking go away after replacing bad oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Recently had an oil pump go bad in my 6.2. Discovered the valve in the pump was stuck 90% shut. After it being towed the minute it was discovered and then sitting at the dealership for a week. We towed it back to the house and I had no choice but to start it and back it into my garage. The tapping was TERRIBLE :yucky:. Kind of sounded like top end possibly?

Drained the oil pan and saw some powder sized metal in it (nothing heavy) and no metal shards, but I think it was from the scratches in the oil pump gears
Took the oil pan out and front cover and the cams and cylinder walls appear to be okay. (Pictured below)

MY QUESTION IS, was the engine knocking mainly because of the fact that no oil was being sent up top? And will it go back to normal!? If I had to take a guess the truck was started at cold start idle RPMs 2 or 3 times at the dealership for under a minute each time (mind you it's been in the 30's here) And then for 20 seconds while being pulled into the garage. Wasn't driven At all. Will my engine be okay!?

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Last edited:

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the oil pan off, it shouldn't be too difficult to measure bearing clearances for main and rod bearings. Specs are in the service manual. Plastigage for the measurements is inexpensive, but you may need to purchase replacement main cap bolts and rod bolts.

If the bearing journals aren't scarred and the bearing didn't spin in the block, bearings can be replaced without pulling the engine. It's easier to do if you pull the engine though.

The metal shows that you've lost some bearing material somewhere, so at the very least, the life of your engine has been reduced.

You will want to change oil and filter again shortly after you get it back together and running, unless you just go ahead and have it rebuilt. Will help remove more of any debris still in the oil passages, if any.

Buzzcut

Reaction score
Chevrolet I believe still use priority oiling which is mains, rods, ect... Was it a heavy knock of light which went away with rpm increase? I would pull the engine myself and totally rebuild it. If you have silver crap in the oil I can almost bet those rings are done. You could also find a newer 5.3 and just swap over parts which would be much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz