Why are all headlights junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abrasumente

Reaction score
My oem housings were super yellow and leaked like a sieve, so after some thorough research I bought some TYC replacements.

They've been in for 5 days, and it's rained for 3.
20230619_074329.jpg

Apparently my research was not sound. What do you guys think? What would be the move to rectify this, do they still sell the actual oem housings or is it all third party now?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a replacement set from Rock Auto a few years ago, no issues. I believe I did get TYCs. But my truck is garaged and infrequently driven, so she rarely sees rain.

Ditto my Denali. Bought the TYC units September of 2021,still clear and dry. But again, garaged and infrequently driven.

Unlikely you can get new OEM units anywhere.

I recently upgraded to Alpharex LED headlights, but they were stoopid-expensive.

OP
OP
abrasumente

abrasumente

Reaction score
I bought a replacement set from Rock Auto a few years ago, no issues. I believe I did get TYCs. But my truck is garaged and infrequently driven, so she rarely sees rain.

Ditto my Denali. Bought the TYC units September of 2021,still clear and dry. But again, garaged and infrequently driven.

Unlikely you can get new OEM units anywhere.

I recently upgraded to Alpharex LED headlights, but they were stoopid-expensive.
I wanted to get the alpharex lights, but the wife wasn't hearing that kind of pricing. They are pretty slick though!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had moisture issues on the factory lights on my 2007 Denali back in the day. I drilled a small hole at the bottom where the seam is and it cured the moisture problem. Not ideal, but I worked for many years

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
When I bought my aftermarket headlights for my 03--probably 6-7 years ago now, I put a thin bead of silicone around the perimeter of the lenses--where the factory seals them--and then I put some dielectric grease on the bulb gaskets that plug in the rear of the housings. My truck is outside 25/7-365, and has never had any kind of moisture issues. Maybe you should dry yours out then do the silicone trick. Can't hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork