Who has the final solution for DRLs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

animalfries

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the 4114 bulbs, but the only 4114 bulbs I can find are the plain jane yellowish white.

I've done LEDs. Loved them, but one burned out in less than 2 weeks and is flashing and the other has about half the LEDs out.

I'm about to try one of sylvania's 3157 that is supposed to be "Super White" with the blue filter, but I'm sure these will burn out quickly with the voltage spikes...

So what is the answer? Can I rewire the DRLs to another power source that doesn't spike or something? Some sort of regulator? :emotions122:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the 3157 led's? I've had mine for over a year and no problems, maybe I'm just lucky.

OP
OP
animalfries

animalfries

Reaction score
From what I've read, you're very lucky!

3157 LEDs are what I have in right now. I do have a spare set because I figured I'd burn through these, I'm just hoping there's an answer out there and I can use them after everything is good to go.

OP
OP
animalfries

animalfries

Reaction score
I picked up two regulators from radio shack today for $4.

I first hooked up a multimeter and the drls had spikes up to 15.5v. Hooked up the regulators and it's stuck at 12.2v.

Hopefully 15 minutes of work and $4 keeps my LEDS fresh!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to think it is largely luck with LED's with all of the mixed reports from all over the place. Using a regulator in DRL's is probably a very wise choice, though. I had supposedly the best of the best from VLED's and they were toast within 3 months. They may have replaced them had I tried, but I don't think it's their fault; voltage spikes are a known issue. Hell, they are why the 4114's were invented. Instead of solving the problem, they reinvented the lightbulb.....

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i run the dual circuit 3157 from autolumination.com Its supposed to be able to handle voltage spikes. I have no problems since i put them in, but i dont think the nnbs had the drl problem.

Jaxon1023

Reaction score
I picked up two regulators from radio shack today for $4.

I first hooked up a multimeter and the drls had spikes up to 15.5v. Hooked up the regulators and it's stuck at 12.2v.

Hopefully 15 minutes of work and $4 keeps my LEDS fresh!

You have a part number?

OP
OP
animalfries

animalfries

Reaction score
radio shack part#276-1771

7812 +12VDC
Voltage Regulator
1 amp

I had no clue what I was looking for when I went in there but an employee seemed to know what was up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cervantesjesus174