Where To Start....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best kit...that's an arguement in itself. Cepek is the tallest 6" kit...before a crank it is 6.5" of differential drop. RCX gets great reviews for a 6" kit and at right around $1000 it is not a bad deal. I run both kits. I kind of wish I would have spent the extra 500 and put a cepek on both... but that would defeat the purpose of that truck

So both of those kits get my vote. Cepek is my #1 pick

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rcx or procomp. cepek kit is going to put you at 6" to start width, you can't "decrank" it to a 4.

i'll try to remember to load some pictures of the bumper tomorrow.

OP
OP
SprngfldXD45

SprngfldXD45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I really wish I knew more about this stuff... when I was lowering my silverado I knew just about all you needed to know... some guys used spindles, put different shit together... I picked up the Hotchkis TVS kit. I knew out of all the manufacturers that stuff was pretty much top notch. But then again I evolved with the fast truck scene so right now I'm smack in the middle of the steepest learning curve I've been in, vehicle-wise at least. I promise, I'm no stranger to a sawzall either... but if a company makes something better than I know I could I'll buy their stuff.

I'm feeling a little better since so far those kits were the ones I was pretty much choosing between.

'96, if you can put up some pics of your bumper that'd be cool... If it's a pain, don't worry about it for my sake (but you should still upload some anyway lol). I was curious if you had some floating around somewhere.

I really appreciate the info so far guys!

OP
OP
SprngfldXD45

SprngfldXD45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those up. I don't know how I feel about the light and grill guard bars... I think if I order one of those I might order it without the bars around the lights and grill. Probably just the bumper with the shackle mounts or d-rings, winch mount, and possibly recessed lights. How do you like the lights that came with the kit? Were they decent lights or cheapo's? I'm definitely going with that rear bumper though from that site, I like that setup honestly.

Well, so far I've been poking around, and I think I'm actually looking at the Pro Comp 4" lift. It comes with an add a leaf and blocks for the rear. I'm wondering if running a rear bumper like the one on the TAG website with the tire on it will help with the ride some. If not, my old truck used to make me piss blood after riding down a rough road anyway, so I'm used to that at least. Also decided on the KM2's for tires, but I'm not sure on the wheels as of just yet. There's a few set of stock GM wheels in 17" and 18" that I like. I'm also not going bigger than 33" for the tires... I did a preliminary add up of everything I was thinking about so far and it all came out to around $5500 or so.

Little background on me, I used to run heavy equipment and when I was working 70+ hours a week I could come up with that in literally a few weeks. The economy goes to crap and construction dries up. I get a job offer with the DoD working for the Gubbmint but I have to take a huge paycut to start off for job security and a long term retirement career. Now I look at $5500, I get sadface. Meh, whatever. It'll still get done, but it might take longer than I'm used to haha.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks better in person than the pictures give it justice, but i will agree the grill guard part of it is a little off what i was hoping for. i added the mounts and 6" daylighters to it. the smaller 3x5 or whatever lights in the bumper are Procomp Explorer lights 55w IIRC. not bright enough for me by any means, haven't had the cash to do much else to it since the unexpected career change.

still hoping to pick up the rear bumper for mine at some point if i can afford it. front is well built but not as heavy as i originally expected. will say those D-Rings are noisy as hell going over less than smooth terrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879