Where are my tweeters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beernutzbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Yukon Denali with the Bose system. The owner's manual says there are six Bose Acoustimas speakers plus the subwoofer but I can only see 4, two in the bottom of the front doors and two in the rear doors. I am assuming that the missing two speakers are tweeters located somewhere up front but for the life of me I can't see or hear them. A photo of the front door is attached and although they are not shown there are no visible speakers on the windshield posts.

I have upgraded the stock Bose receiver to an Alpine CDE HD148BT which sounds decent with the stock Bose speakers (and very loud as any volume setting over 12 is ear splitting on most sources). I am upgrading the speakers too, probably to Alpine type R's, and I'd really like to know what I have and where they are before I start.

20160605_121718_HDR_zpszdjyro9d.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved this to the 91-99 section. Even though yours is a 2000, technically it's still the 99 body style so that section will fit your vehicle best.

I'm not 100% sure, but usually in that body style I though they were on the door just in front of the mirror buttons (on your wood grain) like this...

70216096.jpg

OP
OP
B

beernutzbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I moved this to the 91-99 section. Even though yours is a 2000, technically it's still the 99 body style so that section will fit your vehicle best.

I'm not 100% sure, but usually in that body style I though they were on the door just in front of the mirror buttons (on your wood grain) like this...

70216096.jpg
Interesting about the body style, I did not know that and thanks for getting my thread into the correct subforum.

I have taken that door panel off a couple of times to replace the window motor and the lock actuator and I'm pretty sure I didn't see another speaker including on the area near the wood grain mirror/window buttons.

OP
OP
B

beernutzbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doh! The two missing speakers are not tweeters in the front, they are what appear to be 4x10's in the rear headliner.

Stick

Reaction score
I know this is a little bit old but I'm not sure if you noticed the extra pair of wires in the front doors just sitting there. That's the wires for those door tweets. I do believe on ours there is apparently wiring up to each A pillar as well.
Unless your ride was specifically ordered with the top system (Lux) neither will be terminated. Although our build sheets say there's the lux with Y91, UQ3 and another one i think that I've since forgotten, there actually isn't lux installed. It was likely far too expensive for most given what is in all honesty, a ****** audio system. It is Blows after all. Anyhow, this all led me to the wiring at least being in place already. Doors. Yes. Pillars. Don't know, haven't bothered looking yet.
New speakers will definitely sharpen up your mids and highs and if you add a real aftermarket sub thump in there the factory sub can be more of middle level bump instead.
I'm assuming you used the amp integration harness kit for your ride as you are indicating running the Bose paper cups until you upgrade (if you haven't by now). The main thing you'll want to be careful with is that volume and where your low/mid/high volume levels at. Keep the bass for the new sub or subs (cranked on head unit, minimal effort at the amp), save your remaining speakers that abuse, and it will sound much better as well. It's a little too bad (not really to me as I've got really heavy) that even with the fancy stock head units, there is no way to separately control the sub as it runs off speaker output, but that's typical of Bose junk so no real surprise.
Anyhow, have you finished your project yet?
Mine is probably somewhat similar, likely until the subs anyway.

OP
OP
B

beernutzbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the information Stick. If the picture below leads to any questions I'd be happy to answer them.
20160721_153344_HDR_zpspjmg1igy.jpg
That is an Alpine CDE-148BT head unit ($189) with bluetooth, a replacement pocket for the Bose single disc CD player which holds my wired microphone and the head unit's USB cable with a SD card reader and 32gb card. I love the head unit's Pandora feature as if the source is set to that option it connects and starts playing my current channel about 20 seconds after starting the Yukon. It also has HD radio, USB, aux inputs and has a single disc CD player supporting mp3 and wma files. It doesn't play audio DVDs though.

I put nice Alpine 6.5" type R speakers ($120) up front, Alpine type S ($65) in the passenger area, and replaced the fake Bose 4x10" speakers in the rear (they were actually 3.5" round paper speakers on a 4x10" metal plate!) with some Kenwood honest-to-goodness 4x10s ($55) as I couldn't find Alpines in that size. I spent about $400 altogether mostly at Crutchfield as I used a Metra integration kit to tie into the existing Bose amp and I left in the subwoofer but basically turned it off on the head unit and with the Alpine TuneIt apps 9 band equalizer.

The system sounds great and the bluetooth phone functions and sound quality have so far been excellent. Since I didn't mess with the center console to change the amp or subwoofer it only took a couple hours to install everything including a small back up camera (only $30 on amazon but nice video quality) which is shown at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beernutzbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heh, some idiot logged into my photobucket account after I created that post and deleted the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924