What trans fluid and how much for the 99 Yukon SLE 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowplowJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got this truck but it didn't come with a manual or anything. Have any idea? Also, where is the trans drain plug? Thanks.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sixteen drain plugs- must remove all. Change filter too. Dexron fluid about 12 qts.
Try tech info posts for more info.
Also, if you have a GMT 400 series with cast iron 5.7, to prevent confusion order as a 98 or they will give you NBS (99) parts.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got this truck but it didn't come with a manual or anything. Have any idea? Also, where is the trans drain plug? Thanks.
There is no Transmission drain plug. You have to remove the pan, to drain the fluid. This also gives you easy access to the filter. I would call your local GM parts counter, give them your VIN, and they will give you the correct Filter and Gasket kit. I run Mobil 1 trans fluid. Dexron III is original equipment fluid, but Dexron VI is now considered universal. It comes in a 4.73 Litre or 5 Quart jug, which is perfect for a fluid filter change.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check YouTube for videos (cannot remember if there are 16 bolts or not) but there’s a grommet that’s goes onto the filter neck that can be a bear to remove if you aren’t careful. I used a small slide hammer but would have elected not to replace it in hindsight.

If you have a cold temp hard 1-2 shift, that would be the time to look at the springs in the 1-2 accumulator as one tends to break. Easy fix, something to keep in mind.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check YouTube for videos (cannot remember if there are 16 bolts or not) but there’s a grommet that’s goes onto the filter neck that can be a bear to remove if you aren’t careful. I used a small slide hammer but would have elected not to replace it in hindsight.

If you have a cold temp hard 1-2 shift, that would be the time to look at the springs in the 1-2 accumulator as one tends to break. Easy fix, something to keep in mind.
I agree 100%. I removed that “Grommet” once. I vowed never again. I damaged and deformed it so bad trying to remove it, I was sweating. I leave them now. The stand pipe for your filter is just a friction fit into that ring anyway.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it turned what was supposed to be a 30-minute job into a multi-day hassle while I ordered the mini slide hammer.

Haven’t used it since.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grommet/seal can be a pain but if you're careful you can get it out with a prybar or big screwdriver. To drive it in use a socket on an extension, be sure to lube the filter and the seal when you push it in. Just my choice but Valvoline transmission fluid has worked for me, the synthetic in the red jug is a good deal at WM.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Walmart is definitely the place to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia