What to Use/Audio Upgrade For My 2004 Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim414

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a noob on this forum so x-cuz me if I ask the obvious...I'm not up to date on what's available for this generation of Yukon.

:help: I would like to know how difficult it is to upgrade the audio system in my '04 Yukon-SLT pkg. It has the Bose system w/rear audio/HVAC controls located on the rear console (never used).

I would like to have a new head unit which offers iPhone connectivity and Nav unit. The present system has XM capability, but i stopped subscribing to it since I like the music on my iPhones better. There is no way to connect the iPhone to the present system.

I would also like to have a "double-Din" head unit like the one in my Corvette. My Yukon is my daily driver, owned since new. After nearly nine years and 104,000 miles, my Yukon still runs perfect. It's been the BEST vehicle I've owned to date. So, I figure since there is no squeaks/rattles and it runs as good as it did when new, I will update it some and keep driving it until it has 200k miles. :headbang:

I'm sure there are plenty guys out there who have updated their audio system....can someone offer some pointers on what I need to get to do a double-din...Nav-iPhone-bluetooth-app capable-touchscreen-back-up camera head unit.....and if I need to change amp/speakers....

I want to use the existing speaker areas so it look like a factory install. I am NOT up to date on any of this stuff any more. I will use a car stereo installer because I do not know what to look for.

Also, can someone let me know what the difference is when it states 2 ohms, 4 ohms etc.??? What is the difference? Also what does it mean when the head unit has 4 volt outputs?

Thanks.
Tim

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
Kenwood and pioneer make great units. You would need an interface to connect the new radio to your existing Bose system and to retain audio from the overhead tv. You would also have to get a steering wheel control interface to retain steering wheel controls. Check out metraonline.com to see all of the parts you would need.

For an alternative you could buy an iPod/iPhone adapter to connect to your factory radio since you have the xm capabilities. USA-spec makes some that you could use. Matter of fact I have one that I used in my 06 Tahoe that I would sell since I swapped out my radio for a nav unit recently

Keipherlc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am currently undergoing the same questions. I found a suitable head unit that is inexpensive but does everything I need it to do, however, having a Denali with OnStar, Bose, etc, the harness seems to be a lot more expensive than anticipated. I don't know if I am choosing the right one. My choices thus far:
Pyle PLDNV78i- DD, Nav, Bluetooth
Rockford Fosgate RFI-10- 10' RCA cable to connect the amp for my 2 12s.
What else do I need?

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
You need the harness. I use the PAC OS2BOSE. Metra makes one too. You need the steering wheel control interface. I think you need LOC to run your amp for the sub and bypass the Bose.
Audio Gurus help me out on that part.

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A line output converter is only needed if adding an amp to a factory system. PAC and metra make the best integration harnesses and steering wheel interfaces.
Op, if you don't have an installer in mind I can help you out.

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have done this earlier but I kinda responded on the fly.

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob on this forum so x-cuz me if I ask the obvious...I'm not up to date on what's available for this generation of Yukon.

:help: I would like to know how difficult it is to upgrade the audio system in my '04 Yukon-SLT pkg. It has the Bose system w/rear audio/HVAC controls located on the rear console (never used).

I would like to have a new head unit which offers iPhone connectivity and Nav unit. The present system has XM capability, but i stopped subscribing to it since I like the music on my iPhones better. There is no way to connect the iPhone to the present system.

I would also like to have a "double-Din" head unit like the one in my Corvette. My Yukon is my daily driver, owned since new. After nearly nine years and 104,000 miles, my Yukon still runs perfect. It's been the BEST vehicle I've owned to date. So, I figure since there is no squeaks/rattles and it runs as good as it did when new, I will update it some and keep driving it until it has 200k miles. :headbang:

I'm sure there are plenty guys out there who have updated their audio system....can someone offer some pointers on what I need to get to do a double-din...Nav-iPhone-bluetooth-app capable-touchscreen-back-up camera head unit.....and if I need to change amp/speakers....

I want to use the existing speaker areas so it look like a factory install. I am NOT up to date on any of this stuff any more. I will use a car stereo installer because I do not know what to look for.

Also, can someone let me know what the difference is when it states 2 ohms, 4 ohms etc.??? What is the difference? Also what does it mean when the head unit has 4 volt outputs?

Thanks.
Tim

If you want, you can retain Bose with the modules listed previously made by PAC or metra, those are the only two brands I would use. Metra's modules usually come pre-wired with outputs for reverse, speed sense, park brake, etc. They also come with a harness for the steering wheel control interface. Metra is usually what I use but PAC is also great.

If you decide to run a new 4-channel you can use the harness behind the a/c controls that the Bose jumper harness connects to. This is the basic harness that is used in every truck with or without Bose. This is also the harness to use if bypassing Bose without another amp. If you do it this way, make sure you get either the basic 70-2003 harness(you will have to find a switched accessory this way and will lose RAP) or a non-Bose metra or PAC module that will retain RAP and warning chimes.

Ohms is the measurement of resistance on the voice coils of a speaker. For example; if you have a mono amp that is 1 ohm stable you would want either a single sub with dual 2ohm voice coils so you could wire the coils parallel to get them to 1 ohm. If using two subs you would want either single 2 ohm voice coil subs or dual 4 ohm voice coil subs, all voice coils would be wired parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative). Say you have a 2ohm stable mono amp you would want either 2 single 4 ohm voice coil subs wired parallel, 1 dual 4 ohm voice coil sub wired parallel, 2 dual 2ohm voice coil subs with coils wired in series (negative of voice coil one to positive of voice coil 2, remaining pos and neg out to amp with other sub wired the same), or two dual 8ohm subs all wired parallel. I'm sure that was confusing but I tried to explain the best I could for all to understand. Long story short, series multiplies ohms by number of coils while parallel divides ohms by number of coils.

On your preouts, the higher the voltage, the more the output, the less distortion, the less gain needed on the amp. For instance the eclipse head unit is 8v preouts and the one in mine is 5v. The gains on my amps are set higher than the gains on her amps, her's has less distortion and better sound. I'm ready to get her a screen so I can have my CD7100 back.

If you need any help feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieselDean