What stall???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so For some of you that may not have seen I'm planning some what of an over haul on the 98 Tahoe 4dr 2wd. I'm going to have a trans built to tow in OD. It wont have a big shift kit in it probably just some light valve body work (according to builder) to make sure they are crisp but not harsh.

I am looking at 2 engine setups.
1.stock replacement. I wont be doing any real performance mods just swapping out the units and replacing clean some of the old crap and keeping all the emissions equipment. I might change the gears in the rear to 3.73 with this setup to ease the burden on the trans when towing in OD

2.HT383E. Since I'm towing alot this would be an option with some performance goodies like shorties or mid tubes with high flow cats and custom Y with 2 1/2 inch pipe back to a 3inch merge in the stock location to accommodate a cat back. I would also most likely cap the EGR crap but keep the air injection on it to help keep the cats from getting clogged on start up. Also a BB tune to go with everything leaving the trans pressures stock so the trans builder can do his work in the valve body.

My question to all of this is what stall to use? I don't want to run a quarter mile or anything but with towing is there any advantage to a higher then stock stall on a boat ramp or will it just loose traction and be a *****? I can see when just towing around town having the higher stall like say around 2200 to 2400 but will it kill me on a boat ramp?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
keep it the same. and magnaflow makes a high flow cat assembly with crossover piping. with that, maybe jba shortie headers, tune and cat back and not removing any emissions you will do great.My only concern would have been stronger then stock tranny if you go the ht383e route. a 3.73 gear would be good. this could all be bolt-on for you.

OP
OP
Jaycenk

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans is going to be built either way so it will have upgraded clutch packs and bigger band for sure as well as corvette servo. Good to know about the magnaflow mid pipe system. I didn't know about that.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up grade the sun shell wile the trany is being rebuilt. It's only 50 bucks and with you doing a lot of towing it is money well spent. Get the one called The Beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwaltlsu