What is the proper Trans temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I installed a gauge that has a trans temp. I been reading that the temp should range from 170 to 200. I drove my Tahoe around for awhile in 45 degree weather and the temp did not go past 150 basically stayed at that spot and never went over is that normal. Just want to make sure i got the right temp spot so I can upgrade the face and needles. This is a 2001 tahoe.IMG_20180407_150857893.jpg

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans fluid flows through the radiator and the temperature of the fluid depends upon a few variables.

Generally the fluid will heat up as the radiator heats up. It depends on the amount of air flowing over the radiator. If you are going a steady 45mph in 45F outside temps then you are cooling the fluid down possibly faster than it can heat up. In that case you wont see very high gauge temps. I only see 180-220 when towing or when it is a hot day and I am parked idling with no A/C on.

Do this. Take the outside temp. In your case it is 45F. We know radiator heats up to 210-ish. So all we need to do is just figure the temp halfway between the two temps. It should be about 130F. That's what your picture shows.

Last edited:

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the manual:

"The normal operating range is from 180°F to 200°F (82°C to 93°C). At approximately 265°F (130°C), the message center will display a TRANSMISSION HOT message and the transmission will enter a transmission protection mode. When the transmission enters the protection mode, you may notice a change in the transmission shifting patterns. The transmission will return to normal shifting patterns when the transmission fluid temperature falls below 260°F (127°C)"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645