Vibration at interstate speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marinevet

Reaction score
I have recently got a vibration in my 04 Yukon Denali at 70-80 mph, especially when I let off the throttle. I immediately suspected U-joints, so I bought four spicer greasable U-joints. When I went to remove the front driveshaft, I noticed that when I pushed up on the U-joint near the transfer case there was some play in it. Upon further inspection, the play is NOT in the U-joint, it is in the front output shaft. I estimate the play to be somewhere around 1/8-1/4" vertically. Also, when I twist the driveshaft back and forth, the transfer case is making kind of a clunking sound, and it turns probably 45-60 degrees between where it stops in either direction, which seemed kind of excessive to me.

Has anyone had any experience with these AWD transfer cases, and know if that output shaft play is normal or not? The truck has around 135k miles on it, and the fluid is full up to the fill plug. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Jeremy

OP
OP
M

Marinevet

Reaction score
I discovered that my RPO code for the transfer case is NR3, which is a Borg Warner 4481 unit if that helps.

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz