Vibration at 70-75 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a few months now I have had vibration that sounds more or less like a bad wheel bearing at speeds around 70-75 MPH. It goes away if I solw down or speed up out of that range. Both front hubs have been replaced as they went very bad within a month of each other. Tires have been rotated with no change, so I don't think it is just tire noise.

Any clue what it could be? If it is a rear bearing going out, how hard are those to replace?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now I am confused. Is it a vibration you feel or hear? You said tire noise? Vibrations that sound like a bad wheel bearing? So do you feel it or hear it? Feel in the seat of your pants or at the floorboard or in the steering wheel?

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowing down does work, fortunately, so does speeding up :Good or Bad:.

The vibration is mostly heard. I can feel it slightly in the seat and steering wheel, however it does not feel like the wheel is "shaking" like it would with a tire that was badly out of balance. It is more just a low rumble that just makes the car seem "loud". If I accelerate through this range, it slowly fades in around 70, and fades out as I get over 74 or so.

I read around online and many people mentioned this problem was caused by the torsion bar sitting against the rubber stop towards the front of the car. Sure enough, my left bar was resting firmly on it, and the right was just slightly touching. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the left side of the car was sitting about an inch below the right. I tightened the bolt on the torsion bar adjustment and was able to bring the ride height within a quarter inch, but I have the left side nearly all the way tight. The bar now just slightly touches, and the problem is still there. It seems a bit better, but it very well could be in my head.

Do I need to get an alignment now? how big of a deal is it if I put t off for a bit?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i would go for an alignment depending on how yer front tires are wearing is a good indicator of how urgent it is when you drive down the road with your steering wheel perfectly straight and level does it drive straight or does it kinda pull your to one side or the other if it does this could be an indicator of excessive toe in to or toe out
if your tires are wearing more on the inside or outside shoulder you could also have negative or positive camber

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

front end alignment is about 80 to 100 bucks

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 4wd, could be transfer case noise or front diff. Change fluids.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
I've had this problem recently too... Years ago, it seemed there was a problem with the Intermediate Steering Shaft that was supposed to cause this too. Thoughts?

I am taking my truck in to get the tires balanced and rotated. I will have them check the alignment too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia