Vibration at 110km/h

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - my 2004 AWD Burb has developed a pronounced vibration from 110km/h to 120km/h, it drives fine at all other speeds. I was hoping that it might have been a lost balance weight on one of the wheels but after changing over to winter tires the problem is still there. From my initial research on the topic I am leaning towards the possibility of drivetrain issues (driveshaft weights, u-joint failure or torque converter problems). It looks like I will have some time tomorrow to do some diagnostics, any tips on where I should start?

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joints check out okay upon visual inspection. They look in good condition (no cracks or splitting of the caps or signs of lost grease) and do not have any play in them. Driveshafts do not appear to be missing any weights. I was able to get the fill plug on the rear differential open after lots of persuasion and now just have to source a new cover so that I can change the fluid - I have no idea when it was last done as the truck is fairly new to me (2 years). Front diff has new fluid about 1 year ago and level checks good. Same for transfer case.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joints check out okay upon visual inspection. They look in good condition (no cracks or splitting of the caps or signs of lost grease) and do not have any play in them. Driveshafts do not appear to be missing any weights. I was able to get the fill plug on the rear differential open after lots of persuasion and now just have to source a new cover so that I can change the fluid - I have no idea when it was last done as the truck is fairly new to me (2 years). Front diff has new fluid about 1 year ago and level checks good. Same for transfer case.

Good. I reckon your next course of action would be to drop the rear cover and inspect the internals. If you can get the truck up on jack stands and rotate the diffs and listen to the transfer case, maybe some more clues will arise.