Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve searched around the forum and I haven’t been able to find a write up on how to dive into replacing the valve cover gaskets. Lots of talk about guys doing it, and it being a common issue, but no walk throughs on it. My 6.0 is leaking oil and the shop verified yesterday that’s where it’s coming from. It’s going to cost an arm and a leg to have it done. I want to dive in and try and save the labor costs on it. Anybody got a good write up or links to a good video on doing it? I know it’s involved but I’m at the point where I just want to get it done myself and not wait around for it.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets are really easy. Get new grommets for the bolts as well, though. The new grommets can tear really easily as you put them on, so make sure they're lubricated as you install the them.

One of the best cleaning solvents I have found is a can of Gasketkleen, followed by brake cleaner. Other than that, it's as simple of removing the coils and anything in the way. Remove the bolts, valve covers, clean everything, reassemble, then torque to the correct specifications.

Are you sure it's your valve covers? Are they torqued properly? Had they been removed before and tore the seals when reinstalling? Is it a poor quality aftermarket seal on there now? The valve cover gasket system seems really good and has held up well on mine.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve searched around the forum and I haven’t been able to find a write up on how to dive into replacing the valve cover gaskets. Lots of talk about guys doing it, and it being a common issue, but no walk throughs on it. My 6.0 is leaking oil and the shop verified yesterday that’s where it’s coming from. It’s going to cost an arm and a leg to have it done. I want to dive in and try and save the labor costs on it. Anybody got a good write up or links to a good video on doing it? I know it’s involved but I’m at the point where I just want to get it done myself and not wait around for it.

It's not involved at all. I just popped a cover off yesterday to have a look inside and had it back together in about 45 minutes.

First off, do this with the motor cool and after it has sat overnight so no oil will drip out. If you have an air compressor, blow the dirt from all around the area.

1) Slide the locking pin from the coil pack plug so you can lift up on the tab and unplug the coil pack.

2) Remove the 5 studs holding the coil pack to the cover (10mm).

3) Rest the coil pack on the exhaust manifold.

4) Disconnect PCV hose from nipple

5) Loosen the 4 bolts securing the valve cover to the head (8mm). They don't come out, just loosen them so they can be pulled up.

6) Break cover free and remove. For the ones that are stuck on, I screw one of the coil studs back into the cover and use a straight claw hammer to grab it and sharply tug it free. Often times the valve cover gasket will stick to the head. Just peel it off. I use a plastic scraper to pry it up and off.

7) If your gasket kit came with new bolt grommets (and it should), pop out the old ones by yanking or pulling the screw/tubes at an angle.

8) Clean the cover thoroughly. I soak mine in a shallow tub of gasoline to dissolve the grime from the outside and inside of the PCV channel. Then scrub with stiff plastic bristled brush on the outside and sometimes a wire bristled brush on the inside. Rinse it with the hose, soak it with engine degreaser, rinse with hose, spray with brake parts cleaner, then rinse again. During this, I put the water hose directly over the hole in the PCV baffle to force water back through the insides to clean that part. I also spray brake parts cleaner into the hole and into the nipple to clean it from both ends. I spray the hose through it until the water turns clear. I finish by blowing it dry with compressed air, but air drying is fine if you don't have a compressor.

8) Apply a small amount of fresh oil or axle/bearing grease to the inner hole of the new grommet and push the screw/tube through it. This will be the toughest part of the whole process. I got an 8mm (or 6 or 7?) deep wall 1/4" drive socket- whatever size it was that matched the diameter of the flared end of the tube on the screw and pushed it through the grommet to stretch the hole open to the size of that flared part. I put the screw inside the socket all the way so that the tube bottomed out against the tip of the socket, then used a bigger 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket that slid over the smaller socket to push the grommet down and over the flared part of the tube. I know this sounds confusing and like a lot, but once you have it all in your hands and follow it, it'll make sense. I should've taken pics as I was doing this.

9) Once you get the grommet on the tube, grease or oil the outer perimeter of the grommet and slip the screw/tube/grommet assembly through the hole in the cover and push it into position. I pressed on the top side while I pulled and wiggled the screw and tube in a circular motion from the underside until the grommet was fully into position. Repeat for all 8 grommets.

10) Lay the new gasket in the channel on the cover. Press it all around the perimeter so that it's even all around.

11) Installation is the reverse of removal.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not involved at all. I just popped a cover off yesterday to have a look inside and had it back together in about 45 minutes.

First off, do this with the motor cool and after it has sat overnight so no oil will drip out. If you have an air compressor, blow the dirt from all around the area.

1) Slide the locking pin from the coil pack plug so you can lift up on the tab and unplug the coil pack.

2) Remove the 5 studs holding the coil pack to the cover (10mm).

3) Rest the coil pack on the exhaust manifold.

4) Disconnect PCV hose from nipple

5) Loosen the 4 bolts securing the valve cover to the head (8mm). They don't come out, just loosen them so they can be pulled up.

6) Break cover free and remove. For the ones that are stuck on, I screw one of the coil studs back into the cover and use a straight claw hammer to grab it and sharply tug it free. Often times the valve cover gasket will stick to the head. Just peel it off. I use a plastic scraper to pry it up and off.

7) If your gasket kit came with new bolt grommets (and it should), pop out the old ones by yanking or pulling the screw/tubes at an angle.

8) Clean the cover thoroughly. I soak mine in a shallow tub of gasoline to dissolve the grime from the outside and inside of the PCV channel. Then scrub with stiff plastic bristled brush on the outside and sometimes a wire bristled brush on the inside. Rinse it with the hose, soak it with engine degreaser, rinse with hose, spray with brake parts cleaner, then rinse again. During this, I put the water hose directly over the hole in the PCV baffle to force water back through the insides to clean that part. I also spray brake parts cleaner into the hole and into the nipple to clean it from both ends. I spray the hose through it until the water turns clear. I finish by blowing it dry with compressed air, but air drying is fine if you don't have a compressor.

8) Apply a small amount of fresh oil or axle/bearing grease to the inner hole of the new grommet and push the screw/tube through it. This will be the toughest part of the whole process. I got an 8mm (or 6 or 7?) deep wall 1/4" drive socket- whatever size it was that matched the diameter of the flared end of the tube on the screw and pushed it through the grommet to stretch the hole open to the size of that flared part. I put the screw inside the socket all the way so that the tube bottomed out against the tip of the socket, then used a bigger 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket that slid over the smaller socket to push the grommet down and over the flared part of the tube. I know this sounds confusing and like a lot, but once you have it all in your hands and follow it, it'll make sense. I should've taken pics as I was doing this.

9) Once you get the grommet on the tube, grease or oil the outer perimeter of the grommet and slip the screw/tube/grommet assembly through the hole in the cover and push it into position. I pressed on the top side while I pulled and wiggled the screw and tube in a circular motion from the underside until the grommet was fully into position. Repeat for all 8 grommets.

10) Lay the new gasket in the channel on the cover. Press it all around the perimeter so that it's even all around.

11) Installation is the reverse of removal.
Thanks for the write up! I’m not super experienced so I think this will probably take a couple of hours. Lol. But hats better than paying a shop for those couple of hours

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets are really easy. Get new grommets for the bolts as well, though. The new grommets can tear really easily as you put them on, so make sure they're lubricated as you install the them.

One of the best cleaning solvents I have found is a can of Gasketkleen, followed by brake cleaner. Other than that, it's as simple of removing the coils and anything in the way. Remove the bolts, valve covers, clean everything, reassemble, then torque to the correct specifications.

Are you sure it's your valve covers? Are they torqued properly? Had they been removed before and tore the seals when reinstalling? Is it a poor quality aftermarket seal on there now? The valve cover gasket system seems really good and has held up well on mine.
They have not been removed in the 4 years I’ve had the truck. And there was nothing in the maintenance history records to suggest they had work done on them before I bought the truck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! I’m not super experienced so I think this will probably take a couple of hours. Lol. But hats better than paying a shop for those couple of hours

No reason to rush. It's a couple hour job because of those damned grommets, which take about half of the total time. If you can change your own flat tires and oil, you can do this. It's a good way to see the "inside" of your engine (post up pics!) while accomplishing a needed repair. You'll be surprised at how easy it is and proud of yourself for handling it.

*Related side note:
I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 5'-11" and I found that a 6"x6" block of wood as a step stool puts me at a comfortable height for reaching the back of the engine on my Tahoe (stock height, etc.). Working comfortably makes any task much less stressful. Sometimes we get so involved in sucking in our guts and stretching over the fender to reach that one bolt in the far back that we don't think to just step up on something.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason to rush. It's a couple hour job because of those damned grommets, which take about half of the total time. If you can change your own flat tires and oil, you can do this. It's a good way to see the "inside" of your engine (post up pics!) while accomplishing a needed repair. You'll be surprised at how easy it is and proud of yourself for handling it.

*Related side note:
I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 5'-11" and I found that a 6"x6" block of wood as a step stool puts me at a comfortable height for reaching the back of the engine on my Tahoe (stock height, etc.). Working comfortably makes any task much less stressful. Sometimes we get so involved in sucking in our guts and stretching over the fender to reach that one bolt in the far back that we don't think to just step up on something.
Solid advice! Haha. I’ll be tackling this after I get home from my Vermont trip in a week and a half. So I’ll be sure to make a post about it when I get it handled.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a thought that may be an important consideration. When I removed my PS valve cover to inspect the head, I had to move the heater hose aside. This put enough strain on the heater hose connector that it cracked. And, of course, it broke during a test drive.

My advice is to either change the heater hose and connectors before you do your valve covers, or at least have replacement connectors sitting in the back of your truck.

Murphy's law suggests that if you do only connectors, the heater hose will go two weeks later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n