Using car seats in the second row

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kat hayes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to get captains chairs and put 2 car seats rear facing in the middle row. The problem is with this is that it is not easy to get into the car to get to the third row without taking out one of the car seats. Anyone have any suggestions for how you deal with this?

Thanks.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have captains chairs in my second row and that's where I have my two car seats. I have the seat on recline and I leave the bases in the truck, so that way it's quick in and out with the car seats.

OP
OP
K

Kat hayes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For clarification, are you saying that with the seat reclined back, you are able to keep the car seat in the second row seat and still climb in the car and get back to the 3rd row? Do you have your car seats front facing or rear?

Thanks

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He glossed over the important point

He leaves the bases locked into the car - the car seat itself is likely clicked in and out at will i.e. he puts the car seat in the base after people go to the third row

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always had rear bench seats in all my vehicles and was able to get three cars seats across. The center one was forward facing while the younger twins were rear facing until they were old enough to face forward. Of course that was many years ago as the twins will be off to college in the Fall.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the captain chairs for my second row. On one side we have a forward facing seat and on the other side we have a rear facing seat that clicks in and out of the base. It's not often we have anyone in the third row but when we do we just wait to put in the rear facing seat and people can squeeze in. Once we switch to to forward facing seat I would imagine the same can happen but it will be a bit of a tighter squeeze.

Worst case scenario we would just have to take a seat out, but I don't see that occurring often at all for our usage.

abright52

2011 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
With two full-size rear facing car seats, the only way you are getting to the third row is through the rear hatch...well, I suppose someone small enough could crawl. :)

It is difficult to access the third row with two forward facing seats in captain chairs. I usually end up moving the front seat fully forward.

We had a Tahoe with a bench when the kids were smaller. I fit one behind the driver and the other in the center. This allowed just enough room for the seat to flip forward on the passenger side to allow third row entry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645