Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's do a quick comparison Debonair.

Tom gave us two excellent examples. On one brand he's getting 12.5 mpg and paying $2.19 a gallon. That works out to $.175 cents per gallon.

His other station is $2.09 and gets 9.5 MPG which works out to $.22 cents per mile. A huge difference!

Now you're getting 12.7 mpg for every $3.69 spent which works out to $.29 cents a mile. Man, you even beat me!

My average since October last year has been $.22 cents a mile as was the last tank. When running E85 it drops into the teens, between $.17-19 cents a mile depending on cost.

Gas seems to be very expensive where you live and it's going up for all of us. I cringed paying $3.66 for my last tank of Chevron 93 but didn't have time to drive over to the less expensive station for the test. Life got in the way of the test and that tank will probably end up at $.24 cents a mile as my DIC average is 15.1 mpg on that tank. Lots of idling again.

My daughter's Kia burns $.12 cents a mile and it should go down as she learns to control that right foot!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true that all gas is not created equal.

I've been running E85 from the Mobil station near me at $2.19 gal (hasn't changed price in the almost 3 months I've been getting it) and have been averaging 12-13 mpg with mostly city driving.

About 2 weeks ago I filled up with E85 from a Phillips 66 for $2.09 gal and I only averaged 9-10 mpg on that tank.

Filled back up with the Mobil and so far back up to 12 mpg (have only used 3/4 tank since fill up).

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wondered about that with E85. I was getting wildly differing alcohol contents but that of course is also affected by my last fill up. However, the Shell and Ractrac stations say that the E85 is not their own brand, it comes from someone else, presumably the same distributor in town. Don't remember what Sunoco's said. For the sake of consistency, I stuck with Racetrac as they were the least expensive at the time and my alcohol content leveled out to 71% and was getting 10.25 mpg on it, all city driving.

I'd run Shell's E85 before but that was prior to setting up my fuel logs for this truck and their price varies wildly; the station is on a highway rest stop. Haven't run Sunoco's E85 yet. I should call that distributor...

One more tank of Chevron to do those highway mileage tests and Autocal data log for BlackBear, or attempt them with this rain, and back on E85.

Debonair

Reaction score
@swathdiver I understand Your explanation, thank you. I have never looked past price per gallon if even that, typically just filling up at any name brand station or Costco/Safeway since I tore thru gas with my V8 sedans anyways and a couple of cents difference has not been worth the inconvenience of looking and finding better prices. I have had to really baby this beast to get 12.7.

Chevron around here is 3.99 - 4.19 for 91 right now. Ill fill up next week and see how she does millage wise.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver I understand Your explanation, thank you. I have never looked past price per gallon if even that, typically just filling up at any name brand station or Costco/Safeway since I tore thru gas with my V8 sedans anyways and a couple of cents difference has not been worth the inconvenience of looking and finding better prices. I have had to really baby this beast to get 12.7.

Chevron around here is 3.99 - 4.19 for 91 right now. Ill fill up next week and see how she does millage wise.

It is a few cents a gallon. $.03 cents a gallon over 300 miles is $9.00! That's enough for a Mocha Lotta Crappy coffee at Starbucks. After a year, that's a really nice dinner for two with the wife.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Your baby will thank you.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True but the interior space and acquisition cost are major factors in deciding which way to go. Intheburbs, Bill, runs his 2500 right up to the limit with no problems whatsoever, they are tough trucks.

That would be why I went with the Burb and not a truck. The extra weight of the Burb also results in it having a noticeably better ride over the 2500 PUs, even if it pulled the TR down from 10K to 9300. We've had considerably more than 10K on the back of a 2500HD, 6.0 Vortec, here at work for short moves around the site. The truck handled it well enough, but we eventually bought a 3500.

I drove an '07 F-350 6.0L SRW for a while, and it never seemed to care what was behind it. I've considered a diesel Excursion, but people run them into the ground and then want top dollar for them.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Exxon's 10% 87 all winter long had me averaging around 12mpg, but stupid cold temps had me close to 10 a few tanks. Warmer weather brings me up to 14mpg on the same fuel and Exxon 91 in warmer weather gets me 15. Straight highway miles will bring me well into the 20's, but I rarely get to do that.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Exxon's 10% 87 all winter long had me averaging around 12mpg, but stupid cold temps had me close to 10 a few tanks. Warmer weather brings me up to 14mpg on the same fuel and Exxon 91 in warmer weather gets me 15. Straight highway miles will bring me well into the 20's, but I rarely get to do that.

I've never seen even 19 mpg with 93 octane in my 1500! I'm jealous! Frustrated with the prices at the time and lack of good ones, I settled on a nice 1500. One more tank of gasoline and then I'm going back to E85, the motor loves it as does my wallet!

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest boost to my MPG, was acknowledging that I will get there when I get there, and driving accordingly. Sure I can drive 80, hell I still do on occasion, especially when in Houston, but it doesn't mean that i have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019