Upgrading Headunit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I get my income taxes in and get the truck paid off, I plan on upgrading my head unit. The old one is about to die so figure get it done while I can lol. I was thinking about a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Will I loose anything by switching to this unit? It looks like it uses Google Maps instead of standard Nav. Will this unit hook into my rear camera and such? I want a good radio that will sound better than stock with the Bose speakers and I don't want to loose any of the functionality I have now. Gain some is good loose any is bad lol. If this one sucks suggestions are great too. Thanks in advance.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any/all functions will go through the wiring harness. As long as you get the proper harness, you will keep all the functions.

Are you doing it yourself or having a shop install it?

OP
OP
byrds6

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will have someone else do it. Im not good at this stuff like I was back in the day when it was simpler lol. IE no functions tying into everything. So Ill get to keep nav and the rear camera with this unit?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nav will depend on your phone. With that unit, it will use the maps feature on your phone.

Steering wheel controls, rear camera, RSE, door chimes will all work if you get the correct harness. If you have a shop do it, they should have the correct harness. The steering wheel controls are an extra module that attach to the harness

OP
OP
byrds6

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh gotcha. Guess Ill have to look for a different unit. I do not want it to depend on my phone for the navigation. Any suggestions on a good one that works with the Bose system? One that sounds as good or better than it. I know a lot of people say they hate it but I actually dont mind the way it sounds and how loud it is. Well on disc how loud it is at any rate. XM seems a bit too low at max.

Last edited:

CJKendall66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally put in an Advent OGM1 and love it. Was easy to do, and kept that OEM look. They are a little pricey to find now, since they no longer sell them through stores. I scored mine off eBay, still sealed in original box from Advent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
byrds6

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about this unit? Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD

Any loss of function or a pain to get everything? Does anyone know if it sounds good with the Bose speakers and such?

OP
OP
byrds6

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I called GM and asked them what would a replacement unit cost to keep the OEM radio. They said this thing normally retails for 2700 and if I want to exchange my core it averages 1800. That is insane.

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. That's nuts. I put the Kenwood in, I like it a lot but my wife doesn't. She likes the OEM better (she's used to it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts