Upgrading alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

My experience with reman parts have been pretty bad over the last few months.
3 starters
4 tensioner assemblies
2 alternators, going on 3
2 idler pullies
2 waterpumps
I've just about had it with reman parts, to me it would be worth it to spend the extra coin on a quality product install it and forget about it. I'm having issues with an electrical problem now that I'm trying to sort out. My battery dies every couple of months without any signs. I started a thread about it.
Thanks again

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious, don't really know too much about them. I am planning on doing the "big 3" upgrade here soon and figured I'd toss an new alternator on while i'm at it. The stock is 105amp right? I'm looking at throwing some lights on the roof rack i'm builiding and some lightforce's on the ranchhand that i will eventually procure. ha. Sounds like iraggi is the new hottness, eh?

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
3 starters
4 tensioner assemblies
2 alternators, going on 3
2 idler pullies
2 waterpumps
I've just about had it with reman parts, to me it would be worth it to spend the extra coin on a quality product install it and forget about it. I'm having issues with an electrical problem now that I'm trying to sort out. My battery dies every couple of months without any signs. I started a thread about it.
Thanks again

Wow, just out of curiousity where are you getting your parts? And what kind of warranty did they have on them? I would be frustrated too, they should not be failing like that. Is there some other problem causing them to fail? Link to said thread?

I was just curious, don't really know too much about them. I am planning on doing the "big 3" upgrade here soon and figured I'd toss an new alternator on while i'm at it. The stock is 105amp right? I'm looking at throwing some lights on the roof rack i'm builiding and some lightforce's on the ranchhand that i will eventually procure. ha. Sounds like iraggi is the new hottness, eh?

Stock is either 105 or 140

Well if you have the money to throw at it, a High Output Alternator is never a bad thing. But for some guys(like myself) its just not worth the extra money.

If you want the ultimate electrical system; Big 3, ** Alternator, Optima battery. You will be able to run a big stereo and lights no problem.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, just out of curiousity where are you getting your parts? And what kind of warranty did they have on them? I would be frustrated too, they should not be failing like that. Is there some other problem causing them to fail? Link to said thread?

I purchased them at Advanvced Auto. They all have lifetime warranties, thankfully. I had replaced everything because of one squeak, couldnt find it, shouldve left it alone but decided it would be preventative maintanence, that turned into a nightmare. No other issues after buying my parts online and at AutoZone. Oh I forgot to mention 1 steering gear box, that was fun.

Here's that link.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10801

I would like the ultimate electrical system.
What is the "ultimate 3"?
Thanks

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are severl posts on here about the big 3. basically you replace the wiring with bigger stuff from the battery, alternator, and ground. some claim it adds HP and stuff, but i'll believe it when i see it. I just want to do it to know that i can support the lights i'm going to put on. I do have the optima red top already.

HuskerHoe

Reaction score

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
You can do it either way. Theres only so much current that can run through it. To be honest its better to do away with factory wiring seeing how most of ours is 10+ years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mspranger9