Upgrading alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my alternator. What brand and model/specs for a 99 Tahoe 4x4?

970Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet that is cheap is to get an alternator from an '03 that is 130amp. bolts right up and has the same plug too.

Just need a new belt IIRC

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search around SummitRacing.com, they have quite the selection of alternators from all different price ranges. I'm considering a Powermaster to replace mine.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Not sure of what your electrical needs are, but I've been very happy with my 220a ** alternator from Iraggi. It's a large case alt that fits in the same location as factory. Give Dominick a shout:

615-287-7991
[email protected]

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
not to be a dick, but why in the world would you spend $280 on a 150 amp alternator when a 140 amp reman one is less then half that?

If you're looking at spending big money go with a ** Iraggi or something equalivent

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not being a dick. I know nothing about this and am looking for any kind of info leading to the best replacement alternator. I want to upgrade to a quality one, not a reman. My experience with remans are more nothing to write home about but, thats another story.

What are the benefits of upgrading to a 220a vs a 150?
I do plan on upgrading my stereo but nothing too drastic, replacement speakers and a sub with new headunit and one amp.
Performance wise, what will upgrading do for me?
I am also planning on upgrading my ignition to, sooner than later.

Sorry for all the questions
Thanks

Hey Tiger, its Tigwldr. Hows it going?

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
Basically the benefits of 220 v 150 are the added electricity to the system. If you are running multiple amps pushing 1000 watts or more then a 220+ is necessary or you will see your lights dim because the amps are using up all the power.

I'm running 2 12's at 800 watts with a stock 140amp alternator and it works just fine. No dropping of voltage or dimming of lights.

If you are just planning your average stereo, a stock 140 amp is more then fine. An Optima battery is a huge plus tho.

I know you said you dont like reman alternators, but remember, most auto parts offer lifetime warranty on even remans. For a fraction of the price of a brand new one. How can you beat that? Take your savings and spend more on your stereo or battery!