UOA from Blackstone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Creese99

Reaction score
I sent in an oil sample to Blackstone couple months ago. They found high amounts of copper in the oil. And a little coolant(big surprise ha). It says It is either copper or brass in the oil.
What is made of brass in the oil passages?? The only thing I can think of is the distributor bushing... OEM still in there.
I changed the Intake gaskets bout a year ago, but I'm gonna go ahead and do the head gaskets, and intake gaskets again.
I attached the oil analysis, any and all suggestions welcome. IMG_1073.PNG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bearings (cam, rod, main, etc.) contain copper and/or brass? I know brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so maybe that's why they said brass or copper.

The presence of coolant and bearing material kinda go hand-in-hand. Are you losing coolant at a considerable rate? Coolant is pretty effective at washing oil from bearings. If you have an internal coolant leak, it could be washing away the oil film on the bearings/bushings, accelerating the wear. You may have caught something early.

***EDIT***

Now that I figured out how to zoom in on your pic, I see that they mentioned the bearing and/or bushing wear.

OP
OP
Creese99

Creese99

Reaction score
Are you losing coolant at a considerable rate?
Thank you for the reply.
I am not loosing much coolant, maybe a pint over 6 months. So I'm thinking a head gasket might be the issue there. Gonna order gasket kit and do that next weekend.
I thought the bearings were super hardened steel, but that's why I was asking. Is the distributor gear bushing brass?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
I am not loosing much coolant, maybe a pint over 6 months. So I'm thinking a head gasket might be the issue there. Gonna order gasket kit and do that next weekend.
I thought the bearings were super hardened steel, but that's why I was asking. Is the distributor gear bushing brass?

Yeah, a pint over 6 months isn't enough to trace, much less wash oil from bearings. Bearings are actually a softer alloy than the block material. Not sure about the dizzy gear material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove