Uneven tire wear on one side of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01SLE

Reaction score
About 18 months ago i did a little suspension and steering overhaul on my 01 4x4 at 186k. It hasn't been maintained at all and needed a few things addressed so i just took care of everything.

Parts replaced in front were inner/outer tie rods, p arm, idler arm/mount, steering gear, upper/ lower c arm bushings and ball joints, axels, shocks, and brake components.

Rear parts were brake components.

I put new tires on all 4 corners and still ended up with a slight vibration above 55mph and some mild steering issues like bump steer and wandering at highway speeds. Had two alignments done and had the tires rebalanced on a Hunter Roadforce machine. Final and only answer i got was the no name tires i put on it were low quality and probably the cause of my vibration and crappy handling.

I put cheap tires on with the intent to sell the 22s and put a regular sized combo on. Never got around to it and got tired of working on it, bought a brand new Yukon SLT 4x4 and turned this '01 into my daily driver/ beater to keep miles off the'16.

So 35k miles later the junk tires are shot but the right front and rear are warn much much more than the left side. Tires were rotated a couple times but they're directional so only front to back, not corner to corner.

I'm now going to turn this truck into a mildly lifted Overland type vehicle but need to address this tire wear issue before i put $1,000 in 33x12.50s on it.

I'm out if ideas on the vibration, handling because i replaced everything and have no clue why tires would wear heavily on front and back right side only after two alignments on a new rack with competent techs. I even watched them do the alignment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
01SLE

01SLE

Reaction score
Man, same with my '01....its a mystery

Not very comforting lol.

I did the u joints, checked engine/ trans mounts, body to frame bolts, serviced and inspected everything i could think of ... i wonder if the frame or rear axel is tweaked somehow.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of right turns? :insane: Seriously, it seems odd that only the right side would wear if the truck tracks straight. With two alignments, I wouldn't think it would be that. Isn't the right side tire the normal drive tire on axles until they lock up?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, how much do you weigh and how many people ride with you.....i not being a dick but if you are heavy and have no passengers....all the weight is on that side....???

Not heavy but bigger....a guy i used to work with truck sagged on the driver side he was easy 400lbs

OP
OP
01SLE

01SLE

Reaction score
Wait, how much do you weigh and how many people ride with you.....i not being a dick but if you are heavy and have no passengers....all the weight is on that side....???

Not heavy but bigger....a guy i used to work with truck sagged on the driver side he was easy 400lbs

90% of the miles are straight freeway going to work, 75 mile round trip a day, with just me and I'm not overweight. I thought that too, like maybe there's an overall toe issue and since the only weight is on the drivers side, the passenger side is losing the battle and being scrubbed along.

But the two alignments would seem to rule that out unless somehow toe would change off the rack due to broken or bent parts but i can't imagine how that would even happen or what would cause it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HSK76