Twin turbo 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preludepearl417

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've all thought of it, maybe a 6.0 version but we have all thought of building one. Well im going to embark on a huge project and i need some insight from people that know the 5.3L Chevy motor/tranny. I have a 2004 Suburban LT (full time AWD version). Ive had a lot of turbo cars as you can see in my sig so i get the very basic concept of the turbo system. The problem i run into is that i dont know what the 5.3L can take, well boost wise. Ive run into people saying 6 PSI should be the max pressure i put into the cylinder. Im going to have to obviously custom fabricate all of the tubing and piping going from exhaust manifold to turbo to intercooler to intake manifold. Im pretty sure the fuel pump will be good but im going to have to up the injectors to 26lbs. My ignition is coil on plug with upgraded wires and plugs, should be good for 6psi. May go with a upgrades MSD coil if i have to. I dont know what im going to do about a tune though or if my MAF is going to ever register that kind of boost pressure. Trans should be good up to 400hp and i dont plan on pushing past that with this setup. I want to work with the stock motor then maybe after i get the system working, move on to a built motor and trans. LOTS of ideas and plans being made to make this work. Still have A LOT of reseach to do but wanted to hear what the forum guys/girls thought and if anyone has an ideas.

Parts im putting together:
2x 16G Evolution 8 turbos (they have built on wastegates)
Air to air inter-cooler (18.25"X13"X3)
exhaust manifold brackets
custom piping (2.5inch)
blow-off valve (able to blow off at 6psi)
boost controller (manual)
boost gauge
knock sensor
injectors (26LB)
spark plugs

So far from what ive researched ill be the only twin turbo Suburban on the streets if this works!

Its possible.....
http://www.grdperformance.com/images/aps_c5_twin_turbo_kit.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
700+ hp??? Wow! :drool:

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ignition is coil on plug with upgraded wires and plugs, should be good for 6psi. May go with a upgrades MSD coil if i have to. I dont know what im going to do about a tune though or if my MAF is going to ever register that kind of boost pressure.
Quite a few guys are running stock ignition components 700hp no problem. I wouldn't worry about that. Also, some supercharger kits are pushing 6-8 psi on a stock maf...I wouldn't worry there either...

Trans should be good up to 400hp and i dont plan on pushing past that with this setup. I want to work with the stock motor then maybe after i get the system working, move on to a built motor and trans. LOTS of ideas and plans being made to make this work. Still have A LOT of reseach to do but wanted to hear what the forum guys/girls thought and if anyone has an ideas.
Your Burban has 295hp/330 ft/lbs stock. 6 psi on twins is going to yield over 400hp pretty easily. You're going to need to do something else to the transmission (at minimum a larger cooler for now & shift kit IMHO). Also, the g80 you have will probably not last long either. Depending on how many miles are on your trans will give you an idea of what to expect for life.

Cameron

OP
OP
Preludepearl417

Preludepearl417

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a few guys are running stock ignition components 700hp no problem. I wouldn't worry about that. Also, some supercharger kits are pushing 6-8 psi on a stock maf...I wouldn't worry there either...

Your Burban has 295hp/330 ft/lbs stock. 6 psi on twins is going to yield over 400hp pretty easily. You're going to need to do something else to the transmission (at minimum a larger cooler for now & shift kit IMHO). Also, the g80 you have will probably not last long either. Depending on how many miles are on your trans will give you an idea of what to expect for life.

Cameron

Yeah ive been doing a lot of research on the trans. Im gonna def get a larger cooler for sure. I dont know about the shift kit yet. TransGo has some nice kits. Whats the idea behind the shift kit? It looks like a bunch of springs and gaskets. I read that you dont have to drop the trans to put these in, is that correct?

Whats gonna be a replacement dif for the G80? Reviews and Youtube videos show this dif being pretty strong.

When i get this thing on the road ill post some build pics and videos on the dyno. I dont think im gonna be able to find a AWD dyno that fits a Sub in CO. HA. Street tune i guess.

Last edited:

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transgo SK®4L60E kit will...

Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: FIXES Code 1870 Trouble light & Hard 1-2 shift. No lockup or 4th. Fixes harmonic bounce that wears out pump and valves and causes shuttle shifts. Fwd and L/R clutch burnup; 1-2 bump; double bump; slide-bump.Has new design Isolator/Conv Valve that works Perfect in worn bore w/o special tools or machining. Lets you build real winners

The g80 is like a wwII era grenade in a field waiting to be stepped on too hard...it'll blow & take the whole rear end with it...lol...

You really want a Eaton Detroit TrueTrac...
eBay link

As far as tuning goes, the next best thing to a dyno tune would be a cable tune. If you get the setup from BlackBear, you can send him logs that he can tune from. He can email you a tune to upload to your pcm. His normal mail tunes are pretty damn good but cable tunes will let him fine tune things that are hard to pin down.

Cameron

OP
OP
Preludepearl417

Preludepearl417

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really want a Eaton Detroit TrueTrac...
eBay link

HOLY CRAP. $425 for a diff? This things gonna make my whole truck body twist.

New list-o-parts:
GT3076R .86 AR70 T28 turbos (internal wastegates)
42lb injectors
2002 ZO6 camshaft
Comp 918 valve springs
Comp push rods
Comp titanium retainers
custom intercooler and pipiing
custom t28 manifold
Methanol kit
Transcooler w/ electric fan
TransGo HD2 shift kit
AEM wideband and boost gauge
blow off valves
Misc oil feed, water feed, filters, etc

Got to find a dif if your saying the G80 is going to blow up and take my truck with it. $425 is a lot of money for a dif. Probably going to have to get a custom made camshaft if the Corvette one doesnt match up to the valves. Starting to like these Chevy motors though. I dont have to pull the motor, tran or the heads for anything! Well for now at least.....

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great lineup of cars in your sig! I am a Honda guy for sure. I had a 92 GSR. My buddy had that same 2 rotor, with 11 pounds. Like I said, Awesome lineup! Keep us posted on progress!.....................and POST PICS!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019