Turn signal issue: Could it be the flasher unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed an odd issue that pops up intermittently on my Suburban.

First, the basic info: 2004 Suburban 1500, 4x4, LT package, 5.3, 155,000 miles. I've owned it for about 15 months.

What will happen is this: Sometimes when I'm stopped at a stoplight waiting to turn left, I'll put the left turn signal on and instead of flashing, the turn signal will just stay on, steady. This ONLY happens while my foot is on the brake, as soon as I let off the brake the signal starts flashing again.

This seems to happen mostly when I first start out and everything is cold. By the time the truck warms up, it usually stops.

Now I know a blown bulb will cause the light to flash rapidly (double speed) but what would cause the turn signal to not flash at all? Only thing I can think of is either the flasher unit or something to do with the brake light switch (since it only happens when the brakes pedal is depressed.)

Anyone else have this issue? Also, where is the flasher unit located? Is it on the fuse panel at the end of the dashboard or under the dashboard?

Thanks in advance!

Archer04

Reaction score
Martin I haven't had that problem, but since you say it only happens when you first start the vehicle and maybe during cold weather depending on where you are I would think it is more in the brake switch since holding the brake pedal down causes this. Might need a second person to test and a multimeter. To test power draw on the switch and relay. The relay it self should be under the hood in the fuse panel there.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flasher relay is behind the fuse box in the car under the knee panel could be that getting stuck or could be something with break pedal i would check if not change all your bulbs first check for gunk in the sockets too let me know what you find my 2002 yukon the signal ticks with the volt meter and i cant find the issue yet i replaces the turn signal relay and the switch along with all the bulbs and sockets and still have the same issue

tbisaacs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed an odd issue that pops up intermittently on my Suburban.

First, the basic info: 2004 Suburban 1500, 4x4, LT package, 5.3, 155,000 miles. I've owned it for about 15 months.

What will happen is this: Sometimes when I'm stopped at a stoplight waiting to turn left, I'll put the left turn signal on and instead of flashing, the turn signal will just stay on, steady. This ONLY happens while my foot is on the brake, as soon as I let off the brake the signal starts flashing again.

This seems to happen mostly when I first start out and everything is cold. By the time the truck warms up, it usually stops.

Now I know a blown bulb will cause the light to flash rapidly (double speed) but what would cause the turn signal to not flash at all? Only thing I can think of is either the flasher unit or something to do with the brake light switch (since it only happens when the brakes pedal is depressed.)

Anyone else have this issue? Also, where is the flasher unit located? Is it on the fuse panel at the end of the dashboard or under the dashboard?

Thanks in advance!
This happened to me exactly. I ended up replacing the flasher unit anyway because I switched to LED turn signals and wanted to avoid hyper flash.

It's under the dash, back side of fuse panel. You have to take the Lower part of the dash off. 10 minute job tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts