Trying to stiffen up rear axle movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busterbrown

Reaction score
It was suggested by someone I know to upgrade the rear stabilizer bar on my 08 Yukon XL Denali to something aftermarket (ie larger/beefier). I do tow a 6000 lb trailer so I'm looking for suggestions to help with mitigate any rear end movement. I've read Eibach and Hellwig have products that can be helpful. Anyone have opinions?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
rear swaybar
rear airlift helper bags

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Do you know if a stiffer, solid Hellwig bar would result in more stability than the OEM hollow bar?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yes or djm swaybar. Doing the bar/helper bags is a major difference

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ok. I just finished installation of a Hellwig sway bar and end links for my Yukon XL Denali. Cornering seems better, rear feels more planted. I won't know how it really performs until it warms up some and I hitch up my travel trailer. What I did notice is that the bar hangs much lower than the OEM bar, especially around the ends. Anyone know if this is normal for an aftermarket Hellwig? I have the end links adjusted as short as they will go and they are still about 3-4 inches longer than the factory links. Also, I have the lower end links positioned in the middle hole of the sway bar.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Swat bar must be parallel to ground

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Thanks. The instructions werent' very helpful. I'll have to raise the truck in the morning as I have a few more inches on the end links that I can shorten. Diagrams in the kit were confusing and there are washers, nuts, and bolts left over. Don't know if these are for spacers that accommodate the bar for a suspension lift I seen on google. Assembling the bushings/spacers on the end links was a PIA. Didn't realized that a table vice was the tool of choice.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
All done. The sway bar is parallel to the floor and frame. Took it for a test drive. My rear feels like it can corner now. The difference is very noticeable on sharp turns. Cant wait to see how it performs at expressway speeds with the trailer. I'm wondering if I should upgrade the front sway bar too. Thanks again Tony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE