Truck shakes at 60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landsoul

Reaction score
Took a long trip this week and noticed a weird shake at 60 miles an hour. I have a 1998 yukon 4 wheel drive that is stock. I took it to a dealer at my destination and they could not reproduce. I had them pull the drive shaft and investigate the slip yoke in the off chance it was bad. Everything checked out including suspension and steering components. The truck was out of alignment and I had that corrected but the problem persists.

When the truck shakes it is like the wheels are out of balance and shakes all through the truck. If it let off the gas or push harder it just continues until I pass 65 or drop below 60. It does not happen all the time and is totally random. Other times I can cruise at 60 and it is smooth as butter.

Any thoughts?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you likely have a wheel out of balance or a steering/suspension component worn out that nobody can see worn out yet. did a mech actually attempt to shake any components to check for wear or even perhaps used a dial gauge in the process? this being any other problem but suspension/tire/steering issue would be really rare.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one shop has put their hands on it so far?

Sometimes a worn component is hard to find with the system still assembled.

Although, an alignment technician can find worn steering and suspension parts.

OP
OP
landsoul

landsoul

Reaction score
Yes only one shop has touched it so far. They balanced the tires and performed an alignment.

I watched a few videos on death wobble and it looks similar to that inside the vehicle when it occurs.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a new set of tires put on a ford ranger i used to own balanced and everything and after a couple days of driving i started getting a wicked shake at 65 so i pulled over and somehow all the weights the ones that clip on the edge they came off all four tires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667