Troubleshooting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enemy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2020 suburban electrical issue of some sort. Last night leaving the market I get in and start the car and it takes a second for the dash to light up then it gives me a long series of service warnings including theft deterrent, front camera etc. the car is functioning fine mechanically but none of the gauges are working. They all stay at zero. Blinkers work but don’t register on the dash. When turning the car off the radio continues to play until it times out and turns off. Anyone have any idea what the issue may be before I take it in to service. I suspect it could be a fuse but I’m not finding anything blown yet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2020 suburban electrical issue of some sort. Last night leaving the market I get in and start the car and it takes a second for the dash to light up then it gives me a long series of service warnings including theft deterrent, front camera etc. the car is functioning fine mechanically but none of the gauges are working. They all stay at zero. Blinkers work but don’t register on the dash. When turning the car off the radio continues to play until it times out and turns off. Anyone have any idea what the issue may be before I take it in to service. I suspect it could be a fuse but I’m not finding anything blown yet.
After shutting off the engine, put a voltmeter on the battery and see what its state of charge is. A weak or damaged battery can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

It's also possible that some automatic update fouled up.

OP
OP
E

Enemy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After shutting off the engine, put a voltmeter on the battery and see what its state of charge is. A weak or damaged battery can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

It's also possible that some automatic update fouled up.
Thank you I’ll try that. Any input on how to address a faulty update?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you I’ll try that. Any input on how to address a faulty update?
There is a place to look for that but I'm not that familiar with your generation. Oh wait, I was thinking yours is a T1 and not a K2, might not be any over the air updates.

Let's confirm with some guys who own them: @pwtr02ss @PG01

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

No matter what year, basics first. Inspect the battery and cables area first thing. About 2 years ago, I had a problem with a totally different generation Tahoe but the first thing I noticed was that I would shut off my engine and when getting out, there was still a dinging noise, like I had left my key in with door open and the radio would not shut off with the door open. If I put key back in and jiggled the key and then removed again, all would work normally. It was the ignition switch. Would be a bit early for yours to be that but......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check and test the battery, battery cables and grounds
the cables can go bad on the inside. I would try and do a ohm test at least to try and track it down.
also check the fuse strip that sit's on top of the battery, could be some bad/poor contact there as well

OP
OP
E

Enemy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
battery voltage after a drive measures 12.67 volts

OP
OP
E

Enemy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fixed the issue. Checked all the fuses and everything was fine checked the power and battery cables and all checked out. I took off all the wire clamp/connectors to the fuse boxes and after removing and reinstalling these two in the drivers side panel everything went back to normal. Guessing it loosened up some. If it happens again I’ll look into redoing themIMG_8920.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fixed the issue. Checked all the fuses and everything was fine checked the power and battery cables and all checked out. I took off all the wire clamp/connectors to the fuse boxes and after removing and reinstalling these two in the drivers side panel everything went back to normal. Guessing it loosened up some. If it happens again I’ll look into redoing themView attachment 409926

You could use some deOxit or similar on the pins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia