Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luv53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2002 Yukon xl after losing my Sierra with 375k miles. Upon purchase all fluids looked great, no smells/sludge etc. vehicle handled test drive well including heavy acceleration. Unfortunately, 1500 miles later and I'm afraid the transmission went out. Upon accelerating from a slow down (car in front of me turned), there was a weird clunk and then whining sound. Oil pressure gauge was creeping up to 80, rpm was about 4-5k and speed would not go over 10mph. I'm no stranger to transmission issues with the Sierra and I was really hoping to avoid this sigh.

Does this sound like a transmission issue? A replacement? It has 185,000 miles on it and as much as I love the GMT800, 5.3, and GM I want to just get rid of it now.

ETA- no codes when we purchased it, nor is it throwing any tonight either. That's a bit odd, which makes me think they were cleared and I got stiffed, or I have extremely bad luck.

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check to see if you blew a hose? Any fluid left in the old trans? Have you checked the dipstick?

OP
OP
L

Luv53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to leave leave on the side of the road due to weather. I'll be headed out to check that while waiting on tow truck.

OP
OP
L

Luv53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fluid looks and smells fine. It's parked unlevel so I can't get an accurate reading but I did look up top and underneath to see if I could find a leak. No fluid under the vehicle either. So I am going to see what the transmission shop says.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunshell bit the dust. Stripped it. The OEM ones can do that with age or one heavy doglegged camper or trailer backing up. Tell them to put a Beast Sunshell in or equivalent in on the rebuild. The Beast is cheaper than the OEM and it is beefier too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n