Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmike41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2001 tahoe I was backing up the driveway yesterday and heard a pop didn't thank nothing of it got going down the street it popped and jerked I lost 4th and I believe overdrive I also have no reverse get up to about 2000 rpm before it shifts to 2nd goes to thrid fine but no 4th do you think transmission needs to be rebuilt I have no codes

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
My 2001 tahoe I was backing up the driveway yesterday and heard a pop didn't thank nothing of it got going down the street it popped and jerked I lost 4th and I believe overdrive I also have no reverse get up to about 2000 rpm before it shifts to 2nd goes to thrid fine but no 4th do you think transmission needs to be rebuilt I have no codes
Yes time for a rebuild.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I was backing up the driveway yesterday and heard a pop"
Sounds like a typical sound shell that snapped, losing 4th and reverse. Definitely time for a rebuild. That is a common 4l60e problem. This time get a hardened one.

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I concur.
35823AHD The Beast 700R4 4L60E Transmission sun gear shell.

The Beast Shell. 700R4 4L60E automatic transmission reaction sun gear shell.
Required thrust washer is included. About $65.
There are a few performance parts to consider also like 4th gear servo, updated band and a higher pressure boost valve. If its older then consider replacing the electronic control solenoids.

It could be a DIY project but some special tools are needed plus some background experience or help is needed.

Let us know how this turns out. : )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019