Transmission? Reverse went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txump10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
99 2 door Tahoe, reverse went out. Is this transmission or could it be in my gears? I've been doing some research on rebuilding the trans. Local shops very from $1100 to $2500. My forward is working fine, that's what puzzles me, and I don't want to pull and rebuild when that's not the problem. I can rev it up to about 3500 rps and it starts to creep backwards but that's it. Any insight, suggestions, or tips will be appreciated.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i would have suggested your sunshell assembly but it often effects 2nd gear as well. then there is the low/reverse clutch but since first gear works scratch that thought too. That would generally leave the reverse input clutch system that may have failed. if so drive it till you have money for a complete overhaul or the the fluid system is in bad shape or it fails completely. it is up to you.

OP
OP
txump10

txump10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What rebuild kit would you recommend? I'm going to do the rebuild myself.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I had a ram that had no reverse and fine front gears. Got it rebuilt and it pulled anything you hooked it to. Would look for any updated trans kits and go from there. Summit should have kits

OP
OP
txump10

txump10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the trans pulled last night. That was a fun time. Next step I'm going to go with the monster in a box. This will be my first trans rebuild.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Oil was burnt black.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
then your all your clutch material is likely f***ed. you will have a serious clean up job to do. and i means solenoids and pressure switches as well.

OP
OP
txump10

txump10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is a good cleaner to use when trying to remove all the crud/oil/grease?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts