Transmission replacement costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Any chance the Cottman was in P'ville NJ? They ruined an Oldsmobile 88 when I was in school in the area.
Quick question, how does one know if the bypass has been installed already or not?
Thanks and nope, the Cottman I'm referring to was in PA. Unfortunately not st all surprised to hear of others' horrible experiences with them but I prob wouldn't be building transmissions today if they had done their job right yesterday.

Here's an article on the bypass valve. You can take a look at the first pic and compare to see if your vehicle has anything like that installed.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks and nope, the Cottman I'm referring to was in PA. Unfortunately not st all surprised to hear of others' horrible experiences with them but I prob wouldn't be building transmissions today if they had done their job right yesterday.

Here's an article on the bypass valve. You can take a look at the first pic and compare to see if your vehicle has anything like that installed.
I should be able tell if one is installed, if working properly, by the trans temp readings as well?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@89Suburban, Lansdale.

Purely FYI (no harm, no foul) but I hate the term’ “bud” - always seen it as mildly insulting. No way you could have known that, just taking the opportunity to let it be known to membership at large.

Folks can just call me Nick (first name) or mention me @NickTransmissions on the board or in messages. @alpha_omega for your info also.

Thanks in advance…

ETA: quotes don’t seem to be working at this time

I just quoted this. Hope it is working.

I am right there with ya with calling someone "bud". My pet peeve word is "DUDE". I absolutely hate that, right along with posts that are one long sentence and no capital letters or punctuation. I want to read a cognizant explanation of a problem or comment in chronological order and really hate when the year, make and model and engine size is not given.

It's like that info is a "secret" sometimes. I still say, when a new member signs up, they should be prompted to put vehicle(s) info in their signatures.

Wow guys sorry, I just saw this. I will try it remember. Please don't take offense if it slips out. I respect you both very much.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wow guys sorry, I just saw this. I will try it remember. Please don't take offense if it slips out. I respect you both very much.
I have thick skin. I can take it. I wish that typing something could also reveal the context it is given in. No big deal but what I am trying to get across is that I am freakin' old and I have earned the right to be grouchy and obstinate. I wear my grey hair and beard as a badge of honor. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised, and no one else should either, if I didn't use the EFF word on my death bed.

I just shake my head when I see how schools are turning out people that cannot talk or spell or even put together a succinct sentence with a modicum of correct punctuation.

Again, the words, "hell in a hand basket" rings in my ears.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries, man...lots of times, things get lost in translation over the net as we lack the otherwise verbal/non-verbal queues to properly interpret how things are coming across. And likewise on the respect front.:cheers:

NewbWrench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone ever looked into a 10 speed swap/upgrade? Same size case...two more years and a new tcu...I'm thinking of investigating for my inevitable replacement.

OP
OP
M

Madcircle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, nearly a year after getting my transmission replaced with a BRANDNEW transmission, I noticed today that it slipped 2-3 times. First gear would get to about 3k RPM then it would drop to 2nd Gear, and the same thing. This is usually happening at lights and stop signs, with slight uphill grades (10-20deg.) I'm a little terrified tbh. Is this the start of another transmission failure? Any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.

2017 LT 5.3LV8 4x4 (rarely used except in snowy mountains). 77,800 miles

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, nearly a year after getting my transmission replaced with a BRANDNEW transmission, I noticed today that it slipped 2-3 times. First gear would get to about 3k RPM then it would drop to 2nd Gear, and the same thing. This is usually happening at lights and stop signs, with slight uphill grades (10-20deg.) I'm a little terrified tbh. Is this the start of another transmission failure? Any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.

2017 LT 5.3LV8 4x4 (rarely used except in snowy mountains). 77,800 miles
Sucks, sorry to hear...Where did the replacement transmission come from (i.e. which company or shop built or manufactured it)?

Is it still under warranty? At less than a year, it should be (at least I would think). No reason to be terrified, it's just a mechanical device that can be replaced (if under warranty, at no cost).

You have a 6L80, right?

OP
OP
M

Madcircle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sucks, sorry to hear...Where did the replacement transmission come from (i.e. which company or shop built or manufactured it)?

Is it still under warranty? At less than a year, it should be (at least I would think). No reason to be terrified, it's just a mechanical device that can be replaced (if under warranty, at no cost).

You have a 6L80, right?
I am not sure tbh about 6L80. Not sure what that means. The shop that did the repair gave me the receipt, but its very generic, which upon looking at it now is abit concerning. It just says Automatic Transmission Assembly and it comes with this 3year/100K warranty.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure tbh about 6L80. Not sure what that means. The shop that did the repair gave me the receipt, but its very generic, which upon looking at it now is abit concerning. It just says Automatic Transmission Assembly and it comes with this 3year/100K warranty.
Just have it dealt with under warranty. No need to worry. You should have a 6L80 but you can just look in your glove box at the rpo code list. Look for "MYC" - that's the regular production option (RPO) code for a 6L80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879