Transmission help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick benanti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 tahoe ls 5.3 with 200k on it. This truck owes me nothing. This is gonna sound silly, but, I was driving today and getting on the highway and I think the transmission decided it was friday and quit working. I was hitting the gas and it wasnt doing anything. I tried all the gears and ranges on the tranfer case. After a few minutes it started to move again. I was able to limp it back home and coming up the slight hill to my house, something went clunk and that's all she wrote. While pushing it to a safe parking spot, there was just loud clunking while in neutral. Ive heard a slight whining this past week and was gonna use my the weekend to look into it. I want to hear everyone's opinion if it's either a transfer case issue or transmission related.

Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it worth a rebuild or just throwing in another one?
that's a hard question, depends on what you want to spend on it, cheapest option is to find a junkyard that will swap in a used one, options are all over the place a complete rebuild can run as high as $3200-3500 depending on who does it

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go to Oreilly. There are 2 options for your truck

2e17e2bfa0d8e48b4deef955835292e9.jpg
982dc77fb0a5f720c999c20dc2ef725a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Might be time to get a professional, hands-on evaluation.

OP
OP
nick benanti

nick benanti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Still no forward gear but will move in reverse with no load applied. Once I hit the gas there is a loud thud like a mount is bad but will go back.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started to ''Jam-Up'' one day as I was coming to a stop but could still drive it. Would Jam coasting down the driveway. Check your Pan for debris i had small parts in mine. T-Case was fine. Pull case and check it out. You need to pull it out anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbyo