transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misspooh

Reaction score
my transfer case is bad. so i just wanted to know what brand and about how much did anyone else pay to replace them. or did anyone do a rebuild instead of a total replacement. i am looking into a jasper reman.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a round metal tag on the back of your transfer case.

It has the model # and serial#, plus whatever other info you need to either replace it or have it rebuilt.

It is probably a "New Process" brand. If the case is not damaged, I would rebuild the one you have. They are not that complicated......:)

arowsom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had one rebuilt about 5 years ago. It cost me $1100 and failed again last year. The reason for the failure both times was a broken c-clip on the rear output side that when broken allows the shaft to move in or out slightly causing the gears to grind. After the second failure I got a used transfer case from a donor vehicle for about $200 and found an aftermarket replacement for the c-clip and installed that before the case was in the car. It's really easy to do yourself. I'm not sure what the name of the part was but I found it online without much effort. I think there are a couple of different ones. It cost me another couple of hundred to have the new case installed. My mechanic found that the U-joint going to the front diff was binding and that it probably was the cause of the c-clip breaking in the first place. I'm not sure that I buy that as it's on the other output side but the bad u-joint caused a lot of vibration so I guess it could have lead to the failure. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

misspooh

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i think i am going to look into just rebuilding. the case seems to be in good condition. if i do replace it i can get a jasper reman for 1500. i cant be mad at the truck, i never flushed the transfer case and had no problems for 225,000 miles.

dsump

Reaction score
I just rebuilt a NP243 in my 97 Suburban. It wasn't very hard and everything seems to work just fine. If you need any guidance and you plan to do it yourself, look me up and I will do my best to guide you along the way. Rebuild kit was 100.00 and I needed a new gear which was 165.00. So 265.00 total for my rebuild wasn't bad.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are really simple inside so don't let it intimidate you. Only tool you'll really need other than the right size sockets is a set of duckbill/wide tip snap ring pliers

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most transmission shops can order up the parts. Grab the make and model number off of the metal tag on the rear of the transfer case and give them a call.

I have always pulled the trans or transfer case I needed worked on and dropped it off at the tranny shop. Saves the R & R charges and they can also steam the case to clean it. I don’t have all the specialty tools for tranny work and I don’t want to invest in them for the few times I would need them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts