Trans Temp sensor replacement 8L90 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSELLR8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is my DIY for replacing the temp sensor harness on the transmission (common on the 8L90). It came up as code P0711. it was causing hard shifts when warm and felt like the trans was slipping as well. Now its perfect!

Last edited:

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my DIY for replacing the temp sensor harness on the transmission (common on the 8L90). It came up as code P0711. it was causing hard shifts when warm and felt like the trans was slipping as well. Now its perfect!

nice work! When you filled the last quart after letting it run a bit- did you add the quart while it was running or did you button up the fill plug and shield, run it a bit , then remove shield and plug again?

I’m wondering if you can run it a bit with the plug out or will fluid spray out all over?

Thanks!

I had dealer change filter and fluid at 45k, it’s time to do it again and I want to do it myself this time.

Thank you!
SOS

OP
OP
XSELLR8

XSELLR8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nice work! When you filled the last quart after letting it run a bit- did you add the quart while it was running or did you button up the fill plug and shield, run it a bit , then remove shield and plug again?

I’m wondering if you can run it a bit with the plug out or will fluid spray out all over?

Thanks!

I had dealer change filter and fluid at 45k, it’s time to do it again and I want to do it myself this time.

Thank you!
SOS

I started it up for a few seconds so the fluid would get drawn in, then added the last quart. It’s too hot to add it later in my opinion. If you pull the fill level bolt and nothing comes out I would wait until it’s cool, add some more, run it around the block again and then pull the plug. Just my preference.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I’m clear, you left the fill plug out (not the level check plug) , started the engine for a bit, then shut off engine and filled last quart in the already open fill hole?
After that, you buttoned up the fill hole and checked fluid level while trans was at operating temp. Right?

Thanks!

OP
OP
XSELLR8

XSELLR8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Just so I’m clear, you left the fill plug out (not the level check plug) , started the engine for a bit, then shut off engine and filled last quart in the already open fill hole?
After that, you buttoned up the fill hole and checked fluid level while trans was at operating temp. Right?

Thanks!

Correct

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecomundo

Latest posts