Towing with my 2007 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your transmission temp on your gauge by selecting it through your menu screen. you might check to see if you have a transmission cooler. From what i understand gm in 2007 said they have a tow package and then an extreme tow package. i believe 90% of the vehicles had the standard tow package that does not have a transmission cooler on it. I have a 2007 Yukon XL that did not have a cooler and took it to a transmission shop and had them put on the biggest cooler they could fit. it dropped the trans temps considerably.
I would not want to get the trans fluid over 190 with standard fluid and 225 with synthetic fluid.

Fin

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your transmission temp on your gauge by selecting it through your menu screen. you might check to see if you have a transmission cooler. From what i understand gm in 2007 said they have a tow package and then an extreme tow package. i believe 90% of the vehicles had the standard tow package that does not have a transmission cooler on it. I have a 2007 Yukon XL that did not have a cooler and took it to a transmission shop and had them put on the biggest cooler they could fit. it dropped the trans temps considerably.
I would not want to get the trans fluid over 190 with standard fluid and 225 with synthetic fluid.

Fin

Fin, if you dont mind me asking, what did it run you to have the tranny cooler installed and purchased?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I threadjack for a second?

I'm up at high altitude and towing roughly 3500lbs in jetskis, gas, boat toys, etc. With the 5.3 the Tahoe doesn't necessarily have the getup and go power it would at low altitudes. Any suggestions to beef it up a little? Intake to breathe better?

1STIMEYUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fin

i was pulling my toys up the grapevine yesterday and decided to keep an eye on my trans temp and it started off fine around 171 or so but once i hit the hill doing about 65 or so in third it started to rise fairly quickly but it steadied out around 209 or so. is that too hot? i leave it in third if not itll go into 4th and then the getup and go isnt really there. its a steady hill around 5-6% grade for a good 20 miles.

Stargazer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The owner's manual says you can tow in Drive without using Tow/Haul mode. It recommends using Tow/Haul mode if you are towing something heavy. I don't consider a 3700 lb boat that heavy. I use the Tow/Haul mode on my Denali because I tow a 30' travel trailer with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. I have no problems with it. Your boat is a lot more aerodynamic than a RV.

I would try towing the boat without T/H first. See how the Denali feels. If you notice the transmission hunting for gears, then switch T/H on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skimask