Towing with a 6 inch lift and 35 in tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottcully

Reaction score
Has anybody done a lot of towing with at least 35 inch tires? I am wondering if it is a good idea to tow with a lift, i am concerned about going up big hills or mountains and having transmission trouble or something. I also have my tahoe re-geared to 4:56. Any feedback would be great thanks.

06_2WD_Z71

Reaction score
No direct experience here. However 4.56s on 35s puts you on par or a little better than the factory tires with 4.10s. Granted you are pushing more air and carrying a bit more weight, but really I think you are geared fine for the job.

If towing a big load, I'd want to do a test run on the highway before the trip to make sure it feels stable and there are no swaying or braking issues. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a re-torque of the suspension bits if the lift is fresh.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I pull with lifted trucks all the time. as long as your rear springs will support what every you are pulling you should have no problems. if they sag 2 much just get helper bags

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a transmission cooler? If not, get one. Also a Scangauge II will show transmission temps. Heat kills automatic transmissions so I watch trans temp like a hawk when towing. I just had my instrument cluster rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics and paid the extra $100 for them to add the trans temp gauge - well worth it IMO, even with the Scangauge I like having the dash gauge as well.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
Do you have a transmission cooler? If not, get one. Also a Scangauge II will show transmission temps. Heat kills automatic transmissions so I watch trans temp like a hawk when towing. I just had my instrument cluster rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics and paid the extra $100 for them to add the trans temp gauge - well worth it IMO, even with the Scangauge I like having the dash gauge as well.

good info, didn't even think about asking if you have a trans cooler. I you don't, get one now! lol the lift alone needs a trans cooler!

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed 6klbs from TX to ID with my truck. 6" suspension + 3" body lift on 35's at the time. I have a Blackbear Tune, and 4.88 gears. No issue for me. Up hills I hit anywhere from 3.5-5k rpms going 60-70mph. I just installed air bags and I can't wait to throw something on the back of the truck again.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
In addition to the above advice, just make sure your load is balanced, and the truck/trailer are properly leveled. You'll be fine.

thymer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I towed 6klbs from TX to ID with my truck. 6" suspension + 3" body lift on 35's at the time. I have a Blackbear Tune, and 4.88 gears. No issue for me. Up hills I hit anywhere from 3.5-5k rpms going 60-70mph. I just installed air bags and I can't wait to throw something on the back of the truck again.

Which bags did you use and did you use spacers? I've now got a 6" rcx lift and was thinking bags to keep the rear end at a reasonable height with my car trailer behind me.

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bags did you use and did you use spacers? I've now got a 6" rcx lift and was thinking bags to keep the rear end at a reasonable height with my car trailer behind me.

I decided on Air Lift's Load Lifter 5000. Yes I bought 2 spacer kits. A 4" kit and a 2" kit. I decided that 5" of spacing was perfect. Not to much inflation, and not smashing the bags. My lift came with a 5" block. I am completely leveled. I will have to adjust my passenger side exhaust pipe as it is almost touching and I'm barely sitting at 20psi. I have a insulated Leercamper shell on my truck as well.

You could probably get away with just the 4" spacer kit. Very, very easy to install.

thymer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I decided on Air Lift's Load Lifter 5000. Yes I bought 2 spacer kits. A 4" kit and a 2" kit. I decided that 5" of spacing was perfect. Not to much inflation, and not smashing the bags. My lift came with a 5" block. I am completely leveled. I will have to adjust my passenger side exhaust pipe as it is almost touching and I'm barely sitting at 20psi. I have a insulated Leercamper shell on my truck as well.

You could probably get away with just the 4" spacer kit. Very, very easy to install.

Thank you my friend, ordering now!

edit: Just noticed you've got a pickup with leaf springs. I'll need the coil spring type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse