Towing Capacity Info Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groundhog66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

I have a 2006 Tahoe LT 5.3l, and I'm contemplating on buying a travel trailer. I'm wondering where I can find info on max towing capacity and such, I want to be sure I stay within a safe range.

Thanks,

Tim

9486762881_191493d738_c.jpg

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have oil cooler and transmission cooler, if you have factory tow package. If you are not the original owner or you just aren't sure, check the RPO codes on Internet (they are on sticker in glove box). Also, check for the coolers. The trans cooler looks like a mini radiator in front of your actual radiator. The oil cooler is a vertical, finned unit, also in front of radiator.

OP
OP
Groundhog66

Groundhog66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You should have oil cooler and transmission cooler, if you have factory tow package. If you are not the original owner or you just aren't sure, check the RPO codes on Internet (they are on sticker in glove box). Also, check for the coolers. The trans cooler looks like a mini radiator in front of your actual radiator. The oil cooler is a vertical, finned unit, also in front of radiator.

They certainly don't make it easy to get a peek at the radiator, but yes, it appears that there is a transmission cooler in the front.

I got a pic of the RPO codes, how do you tell what each one is for?

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They certainly don't make it easy to get a peek at the radiator, but yes, it appears that there is a transmission cooler in the front.

I got a pic of the RPO codes, how do you tell what each one is for?

You can use this site to check codes, but you have to put them in one at a time. On my 2 Tahoes and Yuk Denali, I just went 1 by 1. I bought all used, so I wanted to know for sure all the specs. For example, my 2003 Z71 Tahoe didn't have the Flexfuel badge (I don't think any did in 03), so I had to use codes to find out.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/rpo-code-lookup/

uwasride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How heavy is the camper you're looking at? I pull a 7000# trailer with my 01 with no issues. I have the tow package also, but opted for a bigger trans cooler that I run as a secondary cooler plumbed in AFTER the normal radiator cooler. I also had a corvette servo installed and the line pressure bumped up a little to firm up the shifts. The combo of those things work great, though the 5.3 is a bit undersized for some of the hills around here. The hoe does it, but you can tell it's not happy about the hills. Good luck!

OP
OP
Groundhog66

Groundhog66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How heavy is the camper you're looking at? I pull a 7000# trailer with my 01 with no issues. I have the tow package also, but opted for a bigger trans cooler that I run as a secondary cooler plumbed in AFTER the normal radiator cooler. I also had a corvette servo installed and the line pressure bumped up a little to firm up the shifts. The combo of those things work great, though the 5.3 is a bit undersized for some of the hills around here. The hoe does it, but you can tell it's not happy about the hills. Good luck!

The dry weight is 6,137 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts