Towing and lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smoove

Reaction score
Main reason I bought the Tahoe, was to tow the race car. I wasn't in market for a Z71 but,...worked out that I bought one. I have been thinking about lowering it...but I am afraid of a couple different things.

1) I don't want to risk not being able to tow a 3000-4000 pound vehicle for a long trip if needed.

2)I don't want to have a wacked out ride either...as any time out of the sports car and into this, I am a happy man. So ride quality, is huge.

I will run either 17" or 20" wheels depending on mood.

The 2-3/4 drop is what I would probably go with as it looks almost stockish....I think.

Guess I was looking for some feedback from the experienced in this department. Kits recommended, etc. I saw the belltech one, which seems to be a good setup.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Belltech springs are a little soft. They ride good but they are soft.
As for their shocks are incredibly too soft especially for towing.

People will say belltechs with air helpers but do you really want to have to air up and down between towing and not. I'm not sure there really is a lowering spring stiff enough for towing something that heavy. But then again if you have the trailer and race car on the trailer setup correctly most of the weight should not be on the vehicle. You might try air shocks with your lowering kit or try to find an air bag conversion that will allow you ride low how you want it.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh is right about the above.

I have the Beltechs in the rear. Only 2 inch drop. Without airlift 1000s the truck was useless for 7 people plus luggage.

In all honesty I would never lower a truck that I towed regularly with.

There are no lowering springs that lower and handle heavy loads ....... and ride good imo available on the market.

The Beltech shocks are on the soft side too like Josh said.

OP
OP
Smoove

Smoove

Reaction score
Belltech springs are a little soft. They ride good but they are soft.
As for their shocks are incredibly too soft especially for towing.

People will say belltechs with air helpers but do you really want to have to air up and down between towing and not. I'm not sure there really is a lowering spring stiff enough for towing something that heavy. But then again if you have the trailer and race car on the trailer setup correctly most of the weight should not be on the vehicle. You might try air shocks with your lowering kit or try to find an air bag conversion that will allow you ride low how you want it.

Josh is right about the above.

I have the Beltechs in the rear. Only 2 inch drop. Without airlift 1000s the truck was useless for 7 people plus luggage.

In all honesty I would never lower a truck that I towed regularly with.

There are no lowering springs that lower and handle heavy loads ....... and ride good imo available on the market.

The Beltech shocks are on the soft side too like Josh said.

Sh%t.

I appreciate your guys experience/feedback.

The car actually only weighs 3100lbs in race weight so it isn't a total pig but, it will tow an occasional GTO/V-series which is obviously a little heavier. I don't want to sacrifice any ride issues. Air bladders I guess are an option,...but, not gonna get all crazy with it just to lower it.

Darn-

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can and it is very possible..........

Just that you will have to get airlift 1000s

Even then though rude quality suffers imo

It has to do with the amount of active coils. A lowering spring as in my case is the same height as a stock spring outside the car........ installed the drop spring compresses more. Thus lowering the truck....... but the coils at the top touch each other and become almost dead...... that leaves like 4 coils on the bottom...... to support the load.

Then you add the load and the 3-4 coils left compress more from the load.....,... see?

Last edited:

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only way to lower a vehicle without affecting ride quality or load handling, you will need to move the spring mount points on the axle and frame to lower the vehicle while using the same springs as factory. Even then, you may need stiffer springs to account for the lessened travel to the bump stops. Switching to coil overs is your best bet, that will allow you select the appropriate springs and shock valving and give you independent ride height control.

OP
OP
Smoove

Smoove

Reaction score
You can and it is very possible..........

Just that you will have to get airlift 1000s

Even then though rude quality suffers imo

It has to do with the amount of active coils. A lowering spring as in my case is the same height as a stock spring outside the car........ installed the drop spring compresses more. Thus lowering the truck....... but the coils at the top touch each other and become almost dead...... that leaves like 4 coils on the bottom...... to support the load.

Then you add the load and the 3-4 coils left compress more from the load.....,... see?

10-4. Thank you. So they're progressively softer, not physically shorter. I can picture the coils bottom'd out,..with the added load,..it'd be all tire lol. I'll have to look into the "aitlift". If not, stock it is. Which is fine but...you know. :driver:

The only way to lower a vehicle without affecting ride quality or load handling, you will need to move the spring mount points on the axle and frame to lower the vehicle while using the same springs as factory. Even then, you may need stiffer springs to account for the lessened travel to the bump stops. Switching to coil overs is your best bet, that will allow you select the appropriate springs and shock valving and give you independent ride height control.

Damn they make coilovers for these things? Put those on my car,...one of the best mods you could do to a vehicle. Never thought about it for the truck. I don't want to start getting all crazy with my daily driver though either. In the money, or fabrication department if I can help it. But,..you got my attention. :jawdrop:

I did two lifted hummers about 5 years ago, those kits had coilovers but both vehicle's where lifted a lot. Looked like bigfoot.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) I don't want to risk not being able to tow a 3000-4000 pound vehicle for a long trip if needed.

Thanks in advance.

1) AIRLIFT 60742 bags with the rear coils you can tow 6k easy. I have a lot of street racing buddies and we tow our cars to the races. the 4 inch rear springs with brackets cut off on a 09 burban with a trailblazer ss in back towing was no issues. also had people in the truck

2) rear djm links and bumpstops and cut the bracket off ride is fine.

3) 275 55 20 on this kit no prob 20x8.5 with at least 35mm offset
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=87

OP
OP
Smoove

Smoove

Reaction score
1) AIRLIFT 60742 bags with the rear coils you can tow 6k easy. I have a lot of street racing buddies and we tow our cars to the races. the 4 inch rear springs with brackets cut off on a 09 burban with a trailblazer ss in back towing was no issues. also had people in the truck

2) rear djm links and bumpstops and cut the bracket off ride is fine.

3) 275 55 20 on this kit no prob 20x8.5 with at least 35mm offset
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=87

New best friend.

Lol. Well that's great to hear. That's more then enough weight. That is also the kit I was looking at, based off seeing one of your past posts. I will look into the airlift, that's something I don't know about. Is that like a factory escalade rear suspension? Cause, I may have a factory compressor. Could have it on a switch I guess, since I don't have level sensors.

Thanks for your post,..I appreciate the insight. When I do buy,..I will get from you. Just after the sting of the wheels wears off. :gr_grin:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i just use my own compressor to fill up makes it easier. Install prob take 30 minutes at most

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper