Towing 2023 Tahoe RST 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMITH2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Towing a 6500 camper. Can I install a external transmission cooler or go to a Chev Dealer and have them install

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the Max Tow package on your RST? The gas engines get a cooling system upgrade with Max Tow. Diesel gets the HD cooling package regardless.

I'm not sure if the tranny cooler is larger with the HD cooling on the gas engines, but I'll say that the factory system works really well on our diesel Yukon XL. We tow a 5.5K camper and I have never seen temps go much above 190F. Usually temps stay in the 170-180F range and then when you slow down, you get less air across the cooling system, so temps start creeping up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towing a 6500 camper. Can I install a external transmission cooler or go to a Chev Dealer and have them install
To the best of my knowledge, ALL current generation GM full-size SUV's have an external transmission cooler from the factory.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, ALL current generation GM full-size SUV's have an external transmission cooler from the factory.
They do, but the max tow package gives you an upgraded (larger) one. I refuse to buy one without this option.

I’d think the dealer could swap the larger one in, should be the same mounting…not sure the cost, I’d think in the 500-750 range.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a used 2021 Yukon Denali with 6.2L (but not max towing) and as part of the deal tested towing a 5300lb trailer up a 10mile 5% grade at 107F ambient last Aug.

Transmission reached 200F which according to comments is significant but not that extreme for short duration, minimal occurrences. I'm not qualified to say if you need extra cooler but for me, based on what I've read here I'm OK with short duration, 200F transmission temp on hottest day of the year, and don't plan to add an extra cooler. In my use pattern, this might occur once a year.

Since then, have done about 5000miles of towing over 10-15 similar mountain passes at milder 80F, 90F ambient and the temp gauge has stayed < 180F.

Maybe try things out and see you're temps before spending $?

I did add a Curt brake controller and it works OK.

Last edited:

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For reference, I tow an airboat in Florida in very hot weather (but no grade). An airboat is lighter (my setup with the trailer is about 4k lbs) than a camper but has huge wind resistance. I tow at 70mph and keep rpms at at least 2k rpms while towing and have never had the transmission temp go over 180*.

If you're towing on flat land, keep your speed reasonable, and keep your rpms at 2k or above while cruising, I think you will be fine. If it were me, I would try it before I spent money on a cooler. If you test it and temps are fine, no need for the cooler. If you test it and get the fluid too hot, just change the fluid when you add the cooler.

OP
OP
S

SMITH2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a used 2021 Yukon Denali with 6.2L (but not max towing) and as part of the deal tested towing a 5300lb trailer up a 10mile 5% grade at 107F ambient last Aug.

Transmission reached 200F which according to comments is significant but not that extreme for short duration, minimal occurrences. I'm not qualified to say if you need extra cooler but for me, based on what I've read here I'm OK with short duration, 200F transmission temp on hottest day of the year, and don't plan to add an extra cooler. In my use pattern, this might occur once a year.

Since then, have done about 5000miles of towing over 10-15 similar mountain passes at milder 80F, 90F ambient and the temp gauge has stayed < 180F.

Maybe try things out and see you're temps before spending $?

I did add a Curt brake controller and it works OK.
That looks like the one I had that was traded in at Sterling Chev in Illinois. Now have a Tahoe RST with the 6.2 and looking at adding a extra trans cooler. We live in Colorado and not liking the temps in the transmission

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We live in Colorado and not liking the temps in the transmission.
By how much are you not liking the ATF temps?
Only downside to overcooling the ATF 'a little bit' is MpG goes down.
My guess: upgrade your external air-to-ATF cooler.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like the one I had that was traded in at Sterling Chev in Illinois. Now have a Tahoe RST with the 6.2 and looking at adding a extra trans cooler. We live in Colorado and not liking the temps in the transmission
One of the lessons we've learned on the earlier generation 6.2L trucks is that it's pretty hard to improve on the factory cooler performance without incurring other losses. For example, I replaced the factory external cooler with a Tru-Cool 40K on my 2012 Yukon XL Denali. It kept the transmission really cool, but I suddenly started having to deal with engine cooling problems in the mountains because it was dumping too much heat in front of the radiator. Other 6.2 owners reported similar results with it.

My final solution was to install a Derale 13960 fan-forced cooler behind the lower grille below the bumper, and that's been the golden ticket so far.

But Mark's question above is the most salient. Lots of misinformation out there about transmission fluid temps. 180-200ºF in normal driving in the summer is fine. Seeing 235ºF while towing uphill in the summer is also considered normal. GM engineers say up to 265ºF for short periods is okay, but just requires more frequent fluid changes because the additives wear out faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove