Torsion bar removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ughhhhh! How the F can I get these out? I can't find anybody who rents the tool and will not spend $120+ on the tool for one use. I don't trust using a 12" c-clamp for safety and local shops want $140+ to take them out--- on crack!

So unless I can find someone to borrow one is there another way? Like on stands and pop a ball joint and let the lower arm droop? Will it be enough to remove the tension?

Any other tricks or tips?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.570906,-87.842496

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rent a ball joint press from an auto part store. You can also disconnect the lower ball joint, shock, and sway bar. I wouldn't recommend this since sometimes these ball joints can be a pain to unseat and run the risk of damaging the boot.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine with a 7 ton gear puller. Really easy to do just make sure it adjustable from 3 jaw to 2 jaw. There are a few write ups on here just search for" torsion key"

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think as long as t he truck is off the ground and you have the weight off the bars a c clamp should be ok? Ive never removed them just loosened them up but it didnt seem like they were too tensioned from whwt I remember. At least not compared to coils on older cars and trucks. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALCLSC1989