Tips and tricks for installing timing chain on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm deep into the timing chain job and I'm ready to start re-assembly.
I planned on installing crank gear first( heated up to 200 degrees F ) it slipped right on the crank snout.
Chain is fully oiled, timing marks on cam and crank aligned and chain is draped over the cam gear.

I cannot for the life of me get the cam gear back on......I walked away after 45 minutes of some very colorful sailor language......with no success, even went as far as pulling off the crank gear and trying to get both gears on simultaneously.........

any tricks or tips for tomorrow efforts are truly appreciated.
Thanks
Tbruz

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm deep into the timing chain job and I'm ready to start re-assembly.
I planned on installing crank gear first( heated up to 200 degrees F ) it slipped right on the crank snout.
Chain is fully oiled, timing marks on cam and crank aligned and chain is draped over the cam gear.

I cannot for the life of me get the cam gear back on......I walked away after 45 minutes of some very colorful sailor language......with no success, even went as far as pulling off the crank gear and trying to get both gears on simultaneously.........

any tricks or tips for tomorrow efforts are truly appreciated.
Thanks
Tbruz
I’ve had good luck with putting the chain around the crank sprocket, put the chain on the cam sprocket and then line up the cam sprocket with the cam and put it into position.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should go on just like Wade said otherwise you might have the wrong chain shouldn't be that tight

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen this before on a Vortec. Thought it had to do with the 2 choices of timing gears, but after investigating and verifying part number it came down to re-using old crank gear. That was on a customer supplied parts job so I didn't go any further investigating.
Cloyes always worked for me. Not even sure What MFR. customer provided.Probably Chineeseium.

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the entire new timing set on this morning after about 25 minutes of fiddling with it. I ended up having to install both gears simultaneously and then tapping down the crank sprocket with a 36MM socket.
It is a Cloyes C-3017 set and is a 100% match to the set I removed.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Regards
Tbruz

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the entire new timing set on this morning after about 25 minutes of fiddling with it. I ended up having to install both gears simultaneously and then tapping down the crank sprocket with a 36MM socket.
It is a Cloyes C-3017 set and is a 100% match to the set I removed.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Regards
Tbruz

Thank you for closing this issue with a post on your method for getting the two gears and chain on. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YETI the Yukon