timing chain cover gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 tahoe 4x4 5.7l and I am leaking oil from the timing chain cover gasket. since the cover and gasket are one piece the cover needs to be changed. I am also going to have the oil pan gasket changed since you have to drop it partially to get the timing chain cover off..

any estimate on how many hours it should take a mechanic to get this done??

thanks

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think they charge like 8 shop hours and as long as the guy isnt a slow poke he should easily get it done in about 6 to7 hours ive done it before on a toyota and it took me 6 and some change

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
6.3 hrs in the labor book. knock off .3 if you don't have a skid plate.

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

this because the water pump and all but the two must rear bolts on the oil pan are removed. I would suggest you do indeed go ahead and replace its gasket and seals for the filter adapter should be in the same kit. obviously you will be using new dexcool/distilled water in the cooling system so mark that as completed maintenance as well. if your pump turns easily with no sign of leakage re-use it you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n