Thinking of Buying a OBS suv?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of Repetitive Posts here on TYF about Buying Into Tahoes,Yukons,Suburbans Both 4 door , 2 door, 4wd, 2wd .... ECT This thread will be intended to answer all of those questions over the next few days Im going to Merge a few older threads into this topic and sticky it so newer members can hopefully get all their questions answered .

So if your looking at a New to You OBS truck Please Read through this :

Domer94 Original Question :
i recently bought the 99 ducks unlimited for the family and have again fallen in love with these trucks. i had a 98 a while ago. anyhow, ive decided to try to sell my 06 caddy cts and look for a nice 2 door which i always loved. we will have "his" and "hers" tahoes. i was expanding my search to the older blazers 92-94 / yukons. what downfalls do these years have compared to the updated? will it be as reliable?

Last edited:

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92-93 had different style grilles.
92-93 had older style interior. I also dont believe auto/push button 4x4 was an option
92-95 had the less powerful TBI engine; compared to 96-99 L31.
95 had year specific transmission and heater control unit.
96-99 had the push button 4x4 system, and 99 (maybe 98?) Had the Autotrac auto 4x4 system. (Maybe not on 2doors, not sure)
92-95 (i think) didnt have the idler arm reinforcement bracket.

Imo the TBI is a more reliable engine, yet its downfall is lack of power. Once the intake gaskets are replaced on an L31 its good as gold.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I love my 94 tbi. Very good work horse and does very good in the mud. Downfall for me is I have tan interior and finding replacements are impossible over here.. Pros I prefer the seats over the newer ones. Comfy as hell. 92-93 had flat grille 94 has the newer style. I believe the Yukon gt has gas cap on pass side when the k5 (Tahoe) has it on drivers side. Floor lever 4x4 is what you find in 92-94 and way better than push button IMO. I believe 92-93 was 700r4 and 94 is 4l60. They all should come with the cool light that pulls out in engine bay. 92-94 had tail gates only

OP
OP
Donnie Yukonie

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 has auto trac (push button 4x4 with Auto 4wd ) just to clear things up

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 96 and up.
96 to 99 do have floor shifters. Can take a pic of mine to show you. Just not as common as the push button but they are out there. Even up to 03 I know for sure, but again they get real uncommon.

No reason the vortec's cannot be reliable. Have had my 96 for 10 1/2 years. Great truck. Sure it's quit, battery, starter, fuel pump. But all in all it really hasen't let me down.

The Up side to TBI, parts are a lot cheaper. Like the single O2 sensor should be around $20. Vortec is 4 around $60 apiece.
TBI can be harder to trouble shoot. Sometimes the computer cannot narrow down the fault very well or at all. Vortec's can be the same but less common.

Either way they are both good.

Beechwood

Reaction score
I will chime in that I love the autotrac 4x4 on my '99. Great traction when you need it without the drive train binding when turning, and better MPG than 4-hi

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd works wonders if you know how to drive.
For the most part and for most people 4wd is an excuse and a reason for them to think they won't get stuck or slide off the road.
But I think most people on the road don't know how to drive either.

OP
OP
Donnie Yukonie

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will chime in that I love the autotrac 4x4 on my '99. Great traction when you need it without the drive train binding when turning, and better MPG than 4-hi

X2 for what it's worth autotrac is a goof system for occasional use , for me it's starting to become impractical with the amount of off-road vs road my truck sees

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Beechwood

Reaction score
2wd works wonders if you know how to drive.
For the most part and for most people 4wd is an excuse and a reason for them to think they won't get stuck or slide off the road.
But I think most people on the road don't know how to drive either.

This makes me chuckle. As of today, we have had over 120 inches of snow this year. Nearly 50 days of snow and ice covered roads and drifts taller than my front bumper. 2wd has been for the most part absolutely useless. If it wasn't for the 4wd system in my Hoe, I don't know how many times I would have been stuck. And with the ice, I would never have been able to hold the road as the rear wanted to kick out sideways on regular occasions, even when not accelerating.

Winter sucks. 4 wheel drive kicks ass.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Last time I pulled it out on snow or ice I was in 2wd fine lol. Last time I was in 4 hi I was mudding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thathighlife7